Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 21 Sep 2020, 12:48

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions - all welcome
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 00:43 
End of term...again
End of term...again

I started T&M with a character and a vague premise. Then Susie took over and other people got involved (remember that I was planning not to involve the Dennys? Anyone?) and stuff happened. Now I tend to have various plotlines prepared in advance, but no idea how things are going to come out until I write them.

On the other hand, I already had the plot for Brothers ready in my mind - by which I mean that I knew what had happened to Tristan and Sarah. The only question was how I was going to tell it, and that happened quite spontaneously - I wasn't expecting any trench scenes to turn up, for instance, and they turned out to be some of the most effective (IMO of course).

So on balance, I'm half and half! I think a pre-planned plotline helps a story to be more tightly written, but will never stop the characters if they decide to go off in another direction entirely. Mostly my stories have a vague idea of where they will go, but in my experience they seldom follow the plan rigidly! I'm looking forward to getting T&M out of the way so I can start on a new one I have in the pipeline about Nell Wilson, but I definitely can't write two at once. I have to be in just one universe at a time...

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:52 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I generally have a vague idea about what I want to be writing about, but then have no idea how to get my story to that point, which is why I tend to jump forwards in time quite a lot. I don't really plot in the writing down ideas & working out way, though I do like to plot in my head, which then means it's quite often forgotten by the time I get round to actually writing things down.

Finn wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting T&M out of the way so I can start on a new one I have in the pipeline about Nell Wilson, but I definitely can't write two at once. I have to be in just one universe at a time...

I'm the same there unless it's a rather random, drunken drabble like Shepherd's Pie was. Each chapter of that was written quickly in a short space of time. If I'm completely stuck with JC, I'll write stories around it in an effort to get inspiration back.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 02:00 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Finn wrote:
I definitely can't write two at once. I have to be in just one universe at a time...

Oh I so wish I could be like that ! I'm amazed that I don't make more mistakes than I do. No sooner have I got the drabbling addiction vaguely under control (aka 3 or 4 ongoing drabbles or less) than another damn idea pops up! All in different times / places / formats too. Then the other drabbles refuse to move forward till I get the other idea out of the way!

I doubt anyone would be much surprised to hear that I am rarely a plotter! I was saying to Vick only this evening that I'm lucky though, quite often purely by accident characters / situations suddenly fit together as if I had planned it. On occasion even I think I might know what I'm doing when that happens... Not for long though!

What you see posted is nearly always all I have written, and usually has been written that day, wheras I know a lot of others seem to write a bit in advance before posting.

I tried a few times to stick to one drabble, but tis not to be !!

Eta - just read back a bit - I don't see characters feature either, but I am quite like Finn and Abi in that even people I know well I find hard to picture their faces. I have a sense of the characters and what they might do in a particular situation, but rarely have much idea what they look like or sound like.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 15:20 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I'm a definite make-it-up-as-I-go-along drabbler. Which is quite challenging when I'm writing Miss Marple as suddenly I've got loads of threads to tie up and I have to make sure not to have a solution which is contradicted by something earlier in the story! I keep telling myself I'll plan properly but then the characters just get away from me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 16:33 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

Eleanore wrote:
What did anyone think of the Reunion illustration - which characters look right/wrong in that? I rather think I recognised Joey and Hilda straight off when I first saw it, which suggests that they looked pretty much as I expected, but I still maintain that that picture looks nothing like Nell Wilson!

Yes, I agree about Joey, Eleanore, but Hilda is nothing like my image of her. Very unattractive! Nell is far too plump and cushiony, :lol: and Matey seems too soft and sweet for words.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 14:06 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

Section 28 was brought in in 1988. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_28
I assume it applied to both sexes. But before then I am assuming the law only applied to gay men. I heard something about Queen Victoria (or alternatively those writing the legislation) not believing that lesbianism existed so they never outlawed it. Also, it was about local authorities not promoting homosexuality as a lifestyle. As a private school, i.e. not under local authority control, I don't think the CS would have been subject to it.
So that's a long-winded way of saying that I don't think legally it would have been an issue but I guess it's not always about the legal side, but more about what society thinks.
Then I realised that Swiss Law would apply to the Swiss branch. Found a Wiki article on the subject which was quite interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_histo ... witzerland
Quote:
"In 1942, during the Second World War, the first Swiss penal code came into force after 24 years of preparation. Article 194 only penalised acts with "underaged persons of the same sex older than sixteen years". Since the age of majority was 21 in Switzerland at the time, in effect this meant that same-sex sexual acts between adults aged 21 and older were legalised. However, Article 191 legalised different-sex acts from the age of 16 and older, thus leading to a discriminatory, unequal age of consent."

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 00:43 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

That's interesting! Thank you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 18:47 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Hello all!

Just to revive this thread a bit, I have a request to make.

I have mentioned in various places that I'm trying to write up Brothers In Arms into a novel with a view to publication. Today I had a possibly crazy, possibly clever notion to get Susie involved instead of Mollie Maynard - contradicting the timeline of T&M (but that doesn't really matter as I will not be publishing T&M!) but opening the field for some new and interesting interactions between the characters.

My request is: would anyone like to read this story, and also provide feedback and general responses to it? I don't want to publish on the SDL as Brothers has already been done and the storyline will be very similar, but it would be a great help to me to have an audience, especially a critical one, as I feel sure that Susie will change the character of the story rather.

Anyway, anyone willing to help me, please let me know - either by PM or by replying to this. You'd be doing me a great favour and I'll definitely credit you should anyone be mad enough to publish the book!

Cheers, F

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 13:31 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

It seems to be time to revive the thread again, if we may.

(I can't seem to think of anything to put *wail*)

We could talk about issues and challenges that characters face, I suppose. The problems of the graffiti in the Splashery (A Question of Respect) - What will happen to Nancy and Kathie??? :bawling:

Then there's Len and Con facing university. How Len will cope at Exeter (Heart Over Mind) and will she confide in Kathie? And in a different universe, with Con at Oxford (A Grey-Walled Paradise), how will she deal with Ian Hamilton?

And what about Tristan's bronchitis??? (Tea and Militancy)

*pokes thread*

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 13:39 
Presenting your school report

*watches with interest as thread wriggles violently*

Oh dear, I am very bad at reading drabbles at the moment. T&M is about the only one I've managed to keep up with... :? But Tristan will recover from his bronchitis. He must. Will. Must! What I really want to know is, will he find true love?

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 14:00 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Abi wrote:

Oh dear, I am very bad at reading drabbles at the moment. T&M is about the only one I've managed to keep up with... :? But Tristan will recover from his bronchitis. He must. Will. Must! What I really want to know is, will he find true love?

Or is what you REALLY want to know is will he find true love with you?? ;-)

Good idea minim. I'm intrigued to know what is going to happen in Question of Respect, it's an interesting idea, bullying of a teacher/ staff member in effect.

And Tristan must recover. At least, he might. T'would be most dramatic if he didn't though !!!

*drops mega angst bunnies near Finn*

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 14:18 

Beecharmer wrote:
Abi wrote:

I am resigned to the fact that he most probably won't. It's sad, but I am soldiering through.

Beecharmer wrote:
*drops mega angst bunnies near Finn*

*tries to lure the bunnies away with promises of a painfully dying Joey*

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 14:56 
Attending a prees' meeting

I read hardly any now that they are elsewhere. I fear Senior Memory Syndrome means I am mostly forgetful of existence of SDL.

So no material available to discuss :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 20:31 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

cestina wrote:
I read hardly any now that they are elsewhere. I fear Senior Memory Syndrome means I am mostly forgetful of existence of SDL.

Since A Grey-Walled Paradise has been mentioned (thank you!) I suppose it's OK to say it isn't on SDL. Part III is in progress in Seniors' Fiction on Lime Green Musing. There are links in the first post there to the first two parts as posted on the CBB.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 20:37 

JayB wrote:
cestina wrote:

Since A Grey-Walled Paradise has been mentioned (thank you!) I suppose it's OK to say it isn't on SDL. Part III is in progress in Seniors' Fiction on Lime Green Musing. There are links in the first post there to the first two parts as posted on the CBB.

Thank you JayB. Sadly Lime Green Musing is even less in my line of sight than SDL unless I happen to spot one of Lesley's posts with her signature which triggers the memory :D

I do still deeply regret the departure of the drabbles from here though I understand the reasons behind it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 21:44 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Abi wrote:
Beecharmer wrote:
Abi wrote:

I am resigned to the fact that he most probably won't. It's sad, but I am soldiering through.

I would have to write you in for that to happen, my dear! I can, if you wish...I'm sure you would be nicer to him than Susie would...

No spoilers from me on recovery/death scenarios :)

*pets bunnies* nice angst bunnies. You will come in useful...

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 21:49 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Hope it's recovery... hope it's recovery... hope it's recovery...

Baadly hope it's recovery...

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 22:36 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Slight change of subect briefly. I've been bitten by a bunny demanding a short sequel to the Golden Girls drabble, where Nell visits her friends in Miami this time.

Might not come to anything, but if it does, then who (other than Nell and Hilda who are already going) do people think would be good to go into the Golden Girls world? Or should it just be those two?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 22:47 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

Beecharmer wrote:
Slight change of subect briefly. I've been bitten by a bunny demanding a short sequel to the Golden Girls drabble, where Nell visits her friends in Miami this time.

Might not come to anything, but if it does, then who (other than Nell and Hilda who are already going) do people think would be good to go into the Golden Girls world? Or should it just be those two?

Would love to see Sophia's reaction to Joey :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 22:49 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Hee hee. :-D It would be a great clash of characters ... Good, I had almost decided to take her along, that settles it.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 21 Sep 2020, 12:48