Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 05:01

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Peace League
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 19:33 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I'm reading Highland twins, and Hilda has just spoken about the Peace League and the Pledge (safely hidden away by Joey)
Quote:
"we never forget our vow - not one of us. And we never will. Please GOd, when peace shall come, we may all be united again and then, at a great meeting we hope to hold at the Tiern see of all our girls, past and present, we shall be able to show it to you".

Does this ever happen during the Coming of Age celebrations, or is this just forgotten about?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Peace League
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 21:20 
Sharing a joke with the doctor
Sharing a joke with the doctor

Don't think it ever happens. The last time I can remember the Peace League getting a mention is in Lavender. Does anyone remember a later instance?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 21:30 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The trips to the Tiernsee in Coming of Age were made by one form at a time, and the only Old Girls who went were mistresses and Joey's quartette, but they could have had some sort of Peace League ceremony at the big get-together at the Sale near the end of the book. The Peace League wasn't mentioned then, though. I think it was mentioned when they set up the Sally Denny Museum, but I might be making that up.

Maybe the moment had passed by then. There were some people from Tyrol days at the Coming of Age celebrations - IIRC Margia opened the Sale, and Anita Rincini was visiting Hilary when Hilary's second daughter was born - but most of the visiting Old Girls mentioned were people who'd only left school a few years earlier. Some of them, like Julie and Nancy, would've been at school in the days of the Peace League, but they wouldn't have known the Austrian and German girls from whom the rest of the School became separated in Exile, and even the oldest "current" girls would only have been about 4 when the war broke out. They'd probably have found it interesting as a piece of school history, but it wouldn't have been the same as reuniting the people who'd been parted.

Having said which, there are a lot of war references in Coming of Age: it wasn't published until 1958, so the idea of not mentioning the war in children's books would have passed by then. Joey and Madge talk about how they don't know what happened to some of the girls, and there are mentions of Luigia's death in a concentration camp and Evvy's fiancé being killed in action. Or maybe they felt that it wasn't appropriate to talk about a grand reunion when so many people had lost loved ones and there were some girls they still hadn't been able to trace :cry: .

Or maybe EBD just forgot ...

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 22:19 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I suppose when Hilda said that she and EBD were anticipating returning to the Tyrol as a school as soon as the War ended - whenever that would be. They didn't know they wouldn't be able to go back until well into the 1950s and then only as visitors. (The timeline is a mess here. CoA was published in 1958. Based on the triplets' age it should have taken place in 1953, which is actually two years before the Peace Treaty. And neither of those is the actual year of the coming of age, whenever you decide the school began!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 22:37 

The reintroduction of the trilingual system in Three Go was supposed to be a precursor to moving back to Tyrol, and at the beginning of Island Jo says something about going back, but I suppose EBD got fed up of waiting. I wonder if she ever wished she'd hung on another couple of years - Changes was published in 1953 and Barbara in 1954, and then the State Treaty on Austria was signed in 1955 - but I'm quite glad she didn't because it means that the Tyrol years got to remain as the golden era when EBD's writing was at its best.

Sorry, that was rather off the point! As you say, both EBD and Hilda were presumably thinking that the school'd go back to Austria as soon as practical after the war was over. I'm not sure it would have worked anyway, though ... without wanting to start a debate on the very thorny issue of Austria's role in the events of the war, some parents might not have been keen and not everyone at the Tiernsee might have welcomed the CS back. The "great meeting" was a nice idea but maybe it was never destined to happen. They could still have had some sort of reunion ceremony and a speech about reuniting old friends from different countries and so on in Coming of Age, though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 19:08 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I wrote a drabble called 'The Peace League Comes Home' a while ago (my take on what could've happened) and I THINK that it's archived somewhere or other. Unfortunately the PC I wrote it on crashed it's Hard Drive so I can't repost it! :?

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012, 13:12 
Arguing with your guardian

fio wrote:
I wrote a drabble called 'The Peace League Comes Home' a while ago (my take on what could've happened) and I THINK that it's archived somewhere or other. Unfortunately the PC I wrote it on crashed it's Hard Drive so I can't repost it! :?

It's here: board/archive/files/sta_the_peace_league_comes_home_160809.htm

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012, 13:15 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

achuislemochroi wrote:
fio wrote:

Oh that's very nice fio - I'm so glad it has resurfaced.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 13:07 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

Fio - just read that and think it's lovely.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 14:32 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

The Peace League gets a mention in In Tyrol, when Jo takes her family and the Richardsons to the cave in the mountains where the Peace League document was originally to be hidden, but was not (because of Hermann Eisen's spying). Its current location is apparently the school safe: Jo comments that many of the girls who signed it died during the next years, though Len reminds her that far more of them are still alive.

I'm slightly surprised that the 'all meet again' never happened (though perhaps it was there but out of sight), but I guess that because the school survived and tried to keep in touch with so many girls, there was less of a need to have a reunion specially in connection with the Peace League. If the school had gone, it would probably have mattered more.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 15:01 

It was a nice idea, but I don't suppose it was practical. It's hard enough to organise a school reunion for a local day school where everyone originally came from the same area, once people have moved around and aren't able to make the journey due to work and family commitments. & it's always a nightmare trying to find a date that suits everyone for any sort of get together, even if only a few people are involved :lol: .

Quite a few Old Girls do make it to the festivities in Coming of Age, but a lot of them are people who've only recently left and would have been on university holidays and not had to worry about time off work or leaving homes, husbands and children, and most of the others are people like Anita Rincini who have close friends living on the Platz.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 15:31 
Lost!
Lost!

achuislemochroi wrote:
fio wrote:

I enjoyed it very much!

I think it would've been nice if there had been more of a mention about, after Lavender it really isn't mentioned very much at all, which is a shame.
Although like Alison H said, it probably would've been a nightmare trying to find everyone on it and trying to meet up.

This reminds me - what happened to the Highland Twins' document, the one that Betty told the man that tried to steal it?

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 16:24 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I believe it (the Chart of Erisay, if I remember rightly) was given to Jo in the first instance. I can't remember what happened to it afterwards, though I highly doubt it was returned to the twins. Maybe it was sent to Shiena?

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 21:47 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I thought that the chart of Erisay was given to the authorities but I may have just imagined that up :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 11:32 
Lost!
Lost!

Amanda M wrote:
I thought that the chart of Erisay was given to the authorities but I may have just imagined that up :D

I'm thinking that's what happened too...

The "Peace Prayer" gets a slight mention in Gay from China before Madge says lots of stuff about being nice to 'the bubb'. Do you think that is the same thing?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 05:01