Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 10 Aug 2022, 02:47

Post subject: The Plas Howell hedge tunnel
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 13:04 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Just wondered, is there any real equivalent anywhere to the hedge tunnel where Gwensi hides? I'm posting this because someone on my school's Facebook group recently got now rare access to the school grounds (the owner is pretty restrictive about allowing any visitors now). They shared a picture of the quite steep tarmacced internal road from the main building, up to the classroom block. In my day, it was well maintained, the vegetation pruned back.
Pupils constantly walked or ran up and down it. Cars, bikes, the tractor (used by the pupil building service) used it, too.

But now, it just looks like a green overgrown tunnel with a narrow opening, kind of incredible. I'd consider sharing a photo on the CS Facebook group but can't (my school group is private), it immediately made me think of Gwensi's tunnel?

For that matter, the causeway to the beach at my long-dead grandparents' house in Scotland was very overgrown to the right towards the sea. At least one old path down to the shore had become totally impassable and tunnel-like, with brambles/gorse, a ruined sheep fold, etc. There was a muddy drained lake there (not unlike the pond in shocks) with a huge stone plug and boathouse as well, which I lost a welly boot in as a child. Think my grandmother had to come with a ladder (my mother fetched her), quite a Chalet School incident perhaps.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: The Plas Howell hedge tunnel
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 17:38 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

The only similar thing I've heard of is some famous twisted avenue of trees in Northern Ireland, that was used in Game of Thrones. Not surprised if no-one has heard of a similar thing to the Plas Howell hedge. Suppose they are probably quite rare!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2022, 13:36 
An extra hour in bed in the morning

The description of the yew tunnel makes it sound as though it started as a pair of parallel yew hedges that have been allowed to grow out over time.

Now, that might have been deliberate in that people did (and still do) make hedge and tree tunnels or it may have accidental, simply a pair of hedges that were neglected at some point. Yews are incredibly long-lived so it could easily have been the last remaining remnants of a forgotten knot garden.

It is possible that EBD had heard of "yew tunnels", which are trees grown over frames to make a "tunnel" through which you can walk but had not seen one so hadn't realised how they were made. Also these kind of hidden ways (often behind or under bushes) are a minor trope in children's literature.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 09:39 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

I went on an evening walk yesterday, in the part of London where Liss lives, according to her location. Got a bit burnt because it's so hot down here, I wrongly thought sunscreen wouldn't be needed in the evening! I've never bothered with it in this country anyway, too lazy, of course that increases skin cancer risk.

Crossing a vast field that has two soccer goals with no net, I discovered a kind of cave on one side, where several trees have grown and become woven together to form a leafy semi-open roof. There was an empty beer bottle by it, a packet of crisps in the cave. Surprised there wasn't more litter there, it would be the perfect location for any local teenagers to hang out.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 12:12 

When I was little, we had a "den" in nearby woods for a time. It was a natural clearning that had become completely overgrown by bushes. Like the yew tunnel, it was accessible to the small but not to adults. Alas, the same woods today have become a site for illegal off-roading motorcyclists and they have a clearing that they use for evening gatherings complete with campfire. It surprises me, given their destruction of the surrounding habitat, that they seem to take away their rubbish. I'm sure that's the good-in-everyone which EBD believed existed.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 15:19 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

It's a while since I've been there, but I think there is some sort tunnel in the hedges beyond the formal garden at Elvaston Castle near Derby - is there anyone local who can confirm that?

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 00:59 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Facebook memories has just brought up some photos I took at Tapeley Park, just outside of Bideford, a few years ago. And one of them is of a tree tunnel. It was big enough to walk through if you were short, but it wouldn't take much for it to get overgrown enough to only be accessible to children. I'll see if I can link to it when I'm on my laptop, phone screen isn't conducive to that sort of thing!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 09:45 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Hopefully this will work, I've made the FB post public. For context, I'm 5'2" and I had to bend over in there and really bend down to get out at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 1485792098

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 10:10 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Thanks, it certainly works for me, but I'm on FB - it may not be accessible to those who aren't.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 11:19 
Toothache!
Toothache!

It works for me too, and I'm not on facebook! Thanks.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2022, 19:27 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

There is an ancient yew tunnel at Aberglasney Gardens in West Wales. And very often in big old gardens like that you will see old trees and bushes that have grown so that they form a kind of natural cave - a few of those side by side would certainly seem tunnel-like.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 10 Aug 2022, 02:47