Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 06:12

Post subject: Long hot summers at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 14:32 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

There seems to be a lot more cold weather than hot weather at the Chalet School, probably because they'd've been on school holidays during the hottest months of the year, but I think my favourite "long hot summer" book is And Jo. All that bathing in a nice cool lake, and the trip to Oberammergau, and wandering around with red parasols. So much nicer than having to keep your blazer on whilst you climb a hill in the heat in Theodora!

What other long hot summery bits are there? It's hot and sunny in New, when the Mystic M kidnap Sybil, but no-one seems to enjoy that summer very much. And Jo is definitely the one that stands out for me.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Long hot summers at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 15:44 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

When the seniors go to see the tzigane band in New House. I know there's the drama of Matron Besley trying to stop them, but being out of school listening music and probably enjoying a cold drink sounds very relaxing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 17:07 
Being taken down a peg or two

In School At Grizel and Jo going down to sweltering Innsbruck in cool white tennis dresses. Knee-length in those days of course!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 17:31 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

There's the bit in 'Gay' where Miss Bubb wants to send Gay to bed as punishment, and is stopped by Dr Jack, who makes Miss Bubb send Gay to a secluded part of the grounds to sit by herself instead.

Doesn't Miss Bubb also object to the girls sitting about in the grounds, making the place look like Hampstead Heath as well? I don't have the book to hand, but that I'm fairly sure she says something along those lines.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 18:56 

Yes, I'd forgotten that :lol: . Like Hampstead Heath on a Bank Holiday. There's a right outbreak of snobbery in that book!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2018, 17:09 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I can't remember which book it's in, but I rather like the fact that at some point the hot weather is under discussion and Emerence says something like "Are you sure you don't mean it's as hot as Hell - that's the only place I can think of that's as hot as this!"

It's also exceptionally hot on the day of the Kate Greenaway Sale in Summer Term, and those dressed as male characters are regretting the weight and extent of their costumes in comparison with those dressed as females (though Kate Greenaway did draw 18th century scenes as well as early 19th century, so not all the 'sprig muslin' that these seem to be).

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2018, 22:05 
Being rude to your sheepdog

In Switzerland they moved the finishing branch from Das Haus Unter die Kiefern to the Platz as it was so hot under the trees that the girls were ‘limp’. Not really an enjoyable hot weather scene though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2018, 13:59 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Noreen wrote:
I can't remember which book it's in, but I rather like the fact that at some point the hot weather is under discussion and Emerence says something like "Are you sure you don't mean it's as hot as Hell - that's the only place I can think of that's as hot as this!"

Emerence is comes from Sydney, so she would be exposed to higher temperatures.

On that matter, I think EBD confused the seasons in the southern hemisphere - she has Emerence lighting a fire during the winter months (assumed, as she starts at the Chalet School in September), and claiming there was a drought. I know that Sydney has wetter summers and dryish winters (I live on the other side of the continent, which has a Mediterranean climate), but I don't think a fire in the middle of winter would be such a serious matter.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018, 13:32 

My younger grandson told me the other day that he felt "hotter than a kiln - and that's THOUSANDS of degrees!"

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 00:02 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Only vague memories because I don't very often read the books featuring Jack Lambert but in one of the books Jack Lambert is dressed in a sunsuit in boiling hot weather and Len takes her over to Freudesheim to have a shower and also supplies her with fresh clothes if I remember rightly. Could even have been the last book.

Joey and the triplets don't do well when staying at the Maynard family home "Pretty Maids" as the weather is too relaxing for them. This could be mentioned in Rescue when Bob, Jack's brother, dies.

Edited to add - Neither are particularly "nice" examples of hot weather but that is maybe because I prefer warm and sunny to hot and sunny and sometimes not even sunny!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 11:07 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Mrs Redboots wrote:
My younger grandson told me the other day that he felt "hotter than a kiln - and that's THOUSANDS of degrees!"

Love that! :D

Kenya is the first summer they are in Switzerland when they sit outside a lot. And go to Lake Thun. Always got jealous of that. In Coming of Age, Tom and co. go to Lake Thun and walk down the mountain to Interlaken. They meet Miss Bubb at some point then too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 02:02 

Audrey25 wrote:
Only vague memories because I don't very often read the books featuring Jack Lambert but in one of the books Jack Lambert is dressed in a sunsuit in boiling hot weather and Len takes her over to Freudesheim to have a shower and also supplies her with fresh clothes if I remember rightly. Could even have been the last book

It's in Jane. Jack is then told to sit under a tree and Jane comes over and they have their massive reconciliation.

It's not, as they say, the heat. It's the humidity that will kill you.

It's just as hot in Sydney sometimes as it was in Hong Kong, but HK was much more humid and I would literally bring different clothes to work to change into and even have a quick wipedown with wet cloths in a toilet cubicle before changing.

Does seem a bit unfair that Jack gets the special treatment of a visit to Freudesheim and shower when, I'm sure, all the girls were feeling just as bad.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 06:12