Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 28 Jan 2020, 14:41

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: EBD's writing styles
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 09:13 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I have been having a read-through of the series and have noticed that the 'voice' EBD writes in sometimes changes dramatically from book to book, and sometimes through a book. I was wondering if there was any corrolation between this and people she was influenced by. Was EBD the type of person to be influenced by friends in this way, did she have 'all-in' friendships, where they spent alot of time together, perhaps influencing her choice of phrasing?

Or perhaps it was the influence of the books she read? Apparently she had many.

I'd be interested what you think.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: EBD's writing styles
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 09:33 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

It sounds to me as though she was a bit volatile in her friendships - taking sudden enthusiasms for various people (and interests) and maybe failing to understand that many people value constancy and are a bit fed up if you do suddenly take up an intense enthusiasm that doesn't necessarily include them. All great fun while it lasts, though, and 'never a dull moment' sort of stuff!

I think she was a natural story-teller, and yes, varied her style to suit her story, and Jem praises Joey for her ability to do this, very early on.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 11:02 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I think the earlier ones reflect an earlier style of writing – there’s quite a bit of the authorial voice, and the "There is no denying the fact …" start to Eustacia seems quite Edwardian. There’s not much of that in the later books -although it’s hard to know whether or not she read other current GO books and may have been influenced by them.

She also had particular words and phrases which she seemed to get a bee in her bonnet about, but we all do that!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 20:50 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

People need to cut Eustacia some slack. It was her parents' fault because of the way that they brought her up.

And frankly, her aunt needed shooting for the way she treated her. Those boy cousins sound like a nightmare, so they deserved the caning they got from their father.

This is one case where I definitely disagree with EBD. I bet she didn't treat real life in the same way as she did in her books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 10:26 
Being rude to your sheepdog

For example, where Joey spends the whole book calling the children brats. Obviously EBD had heard the expression more than once to feel comfortable with the over-use in the book. but she does not really continue to use it after. So was someone she knew (and possibly admired / liked) having an influence on her writing at that time? After all, it is slang and not used just the once in the book.

where her hobbies are shown, guiding, folk dancing, is it her interest level that is recorded in the pages of the books.

and the way that sometimes the written style is not just hers but influenced by what she was perhaps reading or talking about. almost as if someone was helping to create or develope an idea within a story, and the author used their phraseology to tell that story.

Please don't think I am attacking EBD, or suggesting that she plagiarises, because I don't think or mean that. What I am talking about probably is motivation and influence on the writer in her life that impacts her prolific writing. We have all spotted certain passages and chapters that seem to be written differently, or strangely, not in her usual style and I wondered if it would be possible to almost track her friendships, work and holidays through Eleanors writing.

Sorry if this is not as clear as I should like, my brain is moving like nearly cold toffee this morning.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 15:27 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

There is a HUGE contrast between The Maids of La Rochelle and the CS books. Not just because of the setting, but because of all the supernatural elements. It's borderline nightmare fuel in places, with all the stuff about the creepy painting and the White Witch cursing people. You wouldn't see that in a CS book, outside of one of the Celtic girls' creepy bedtime stories.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 28 Jan 2020, 14:41