Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2020, 04:50

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Louise Redfield
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 22:13 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Louise seems not to have a character thread. Understandably, as she is often around without being central. Having just read The New Chalet School, I'm impressed with her leadership as Head Girl. We don't see too much, but what we see is impressive. When it becomes apparent that the Middles are up to something after hours, it's a fairly unique (so far) dilemma. Although the incident is likened to the Baby Voodoo sequence from New House, it actually plays out differently. Joey was alerted to Baby Voodoo as it was going on and just deployed her usual charge-right-in-there strategy. Louise has a dilemma: she needs to deploy the prefects after bedtime, but being out is an offence in itself. So, she leads a deputation to Miss Annersley and explains that the Middles are up to something but, don't worry, the prefects can handle it. This pays immediate dividends when Annersley, without needing fuller explanations, agrees and even re-assigns some rooms for the night to make it easier. In the same conversation, it is Louise who has the nerve/tact to bring up the difficult subject of Mademoiselle's state of health, about which some of the pupils know more than they've been officially told. The prefects are then given the full story and Louise very soberly tells the rest of the Sixth. Top points all round, and if Louise wishes to start a political party between now and the 12th December, I'll gladly vote for her over Johnson, Corbyn or the others.

My fondness for a number of characters around this point has rather sneaked up on me. Louise and Gillian didn't get enough to do, I feel. They're stuck inbetween the Quartet - the original stars - and some particularly bothersome Middles, both of which EBD seems to prefer writing about, but as they take their bow, I think I'm going to miss them.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Louise Redfield
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 22:32 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I think you've said it all :D - they come in between the Quartette and the Quintette! The people who are below Mary-Lou's Gang but above the triplets suffer the same fate. The fact that Louise's first term as HG is called "Jo Returns to the Chalet School" says it all.

They also suffer from EBD's decision to miss a couple of years so that Jo would be of more marriageable age before the school left Austria. I understand why she did that, but it's a shame for Louise & co, and for Evvy and Elsie as well.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 22:40 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

I feel there's quite a lot of attractive minor characters who lose out by the sandwiching effect.

In some ways, the Hereford years are good ones for this kind of characters in that Joey has definitely left school (even if she does keep reappearing) and her replacements in terms of Mary-Lou and the Triplets have not appeared.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 00:47 

I completely agree - the Armishire and St Briavel's years work really well for that. Daisy, Beth and Gwensi, Gay and Jacynth and co, Peggy's group, Bride and Tom's group, Blossom and Sybil's group, Mary-Lou's year as juniors, Jennifer Penrose and co, Carola and Kat's group, all get plenty of "screen time", without anyone dominating.

The Carola/Kat year miss out on their time in the sun as Head Girl and prefects, though, because it's all about Mary-Lou by then. And the people immediately below the Inter V gang are anonymous. In the final year, when Jo, Ros, Alicia, Betty, Heather at al have left, there are several prefects I feel I know next to nothing about. Louise, Anne, Gillian and co at least get plenty of mentions, if not major plotlines, but Maria Zinkel, Jeanne Daudet, Eve Hurrell and Marie Huber are pretty anonymous!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019, 02:19 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Another person who I think was glossed over is Primula. Although she’s sister to Daisy and a member of the MBR clan, she is always a shadowy background character. When she “stars” in Joey Goes, it just emphasizes how much she fades into the background.

And I always feel sorry for Sybil. She’s a fascinating character, but gets no visibility except as a morality lesson on vanity.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019, 20:11 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Louise Redfield is David Moyes to Joey's Alex Ferguson, except more competent.

Also agreed about how undistinctive the girls in the Triplets' group are, the ones who get their own stories (Ted, Rikki and Ros) aside. They're just a bunch of random Swiss girls.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019, 21:56 

:lol: :lol: I always have Hilda down as Sir Alex Ferguson, and whoever succeeds her as David Moyes, but, true, it can't have been much fun succeeding Joey or Mary-Lou either!

And I'm amazed EBD never refers to any of her faves as "The Special One" ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2019, 10:35 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

OOAO is definitely the Steven Gerrard of the Chalet School. Or maybe Ryan Giggs, if we're using Man United comparisons.

I wonder if EBD had planned for a successor for Miss Annersley. Miss Wilmot seems to be the fanfic choice, but she was only too happy to give Miss Annersley the reins back in Challenge. Actually, that seems like a topic for another thread.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2020, 04:50