Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 12:55

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Crime and punishment
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2019, 00:51 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I think it is. But we aren't told that he was never in school on a Saturday or that the pupils knew for sure he was somewhere else that day. The only circumstances in which it would be fair to blame Blossom would be if she should have known there was no chance the message was genuine. It's definitely an incident that highlights the perils of instant obedience but EBD doesn't explore it which is a shame.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2019, 10:05 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

But then it does seem to be something that EMBD likes to do to her readers - give them the occasional jolt when it comes to moral issues. For me, the most blatant example is when Miss Annersley tells Bride (as Head Girl) that Diana Skelton won't be coming back to the school, even though they'd worked through all the business of The Wrecked Study and Bride had forgiven her. Diana has recently stolen two rings from her mother to sell so that she can pay off her gambling debts: Bride unsurprisingly expresses horror at this behaviour and is promptly rebuked for lack of compassion. That reaction seems to me entirely natural and realistic, especially in a carefully brought-up girl - 'hate the sin but not the sinner' is quite right, but it seems to me that compassion sometimes has to kick in after the initial shock.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2019, 01:59 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Noreen wrote:
But then it does seem to be something that EMBD likes to do to her readers - give them the occasional jolt when it comes to moral issues. For me, the most blatant example is when Miss Annersley tells Bride (as Head Girl) that Diana Skelton won't be coming back to the school, even though they'd worked through all the business of The Wrecked Study and Bride had forgiven her. Diana has recently stolen two rings from her mother to sell so that she can pay off her gambling debts: Bride unsurprisingly expresses horror at this behaviour and is promptly rebuked for lack of compassion. That reaction seems to me entirely natural and realistic, especially in a carefully brought-up girl - 'hate the sin but not the sinner' is quite right, but it seems to me that compassion sometimes has to kick in after the initial shock.

For all that, the teachers (and other adults) don’t seem to be held to the same level. They say some unpleasant things about others and aren’t pulled up for it. Jo’s comments on Joan Baker, for instance. Or the remarks about Miss Bubb when she applied for work.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2019, 07:45 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

And they're so nasty about Mrs Pertwee. OK, she sounds like a pain, but there's no compassion at all for a widow with no family support, who's only leaving her three children because she needs to go abroad for work reasons, to earn money to support them.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2019, 23:25 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I did once assume that a message from a teacher to go to a particular room was a prank. The person who told it to me was, shall we say, not a nice person. The second person who said it was her friend, so that also didn't convince me. The third, and more worried-looking one, though...!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 12:55