Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2020, 06:49

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Theodora and the Chalet School
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 12:59 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Audrey25 wrote:
But does it not all boil down to greed in the long run? Margot did not need the clock and her actions might have been innocent in the beginning, but she ended up accepting a wildly inappropriate, expensive gift just because she liked and wanted it.

I suppose it boils down to greed, but there are mitigating factors. Margot really, really wants it, but not at the expense of anyone else; the thought of owning it doesn't cross her mind until Emmy offers.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 01:33 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

I just finished the GGBP edition. It’s a whole new book in comparison to the butchered Armada edition. The sections that were eviscerated give more depth to the characters and are definitely necessary for the story.

The Margot storyline with her overarching jealousy appears out of nowhere, with some revisionist history of her jealousy of Ros and Prunella. Worse, the blackmail and bullying just pops up. As others have noted, it’s not in keeping with her character.

This is another book where Len doesn’t shine. She is great at the beginning, with integrating Ted into a relationship with herself and Ros, but she fails miserably with Margot. She’s so willing to erase herself rather than stand up to her triplet...

Jo doesn’t show up well in this either. Her snobby remarks about Joan Baker being the result of heredity and not being up to CS standards... and rehashing Ted’s history. True enough, she didn’t know that Margot was eavesdropping, but was it really necessary to remind Rosalie of the poor girl’s expulsions after making such a fuss about a new start?

Poor Con too. She shows more personality than Len in dealing with Margot and is told off for being tactless. She also feels guilty about stating a fact... how was it her fault that Margot blew up for being corrected? How would it have been better if nobody said anything until they were back at school?

And how ineffective are the staff that they can’t deal with the pupils unless Joey or M-L point out the issue then step in to resolve it?

Finally, for all of the lectures against vanity, there’s an odd amount of attention to Ted’s hair...

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 08:32 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

They're obsessed with looks. Ted herself wanted her hair cut because it was too heavy in the heat, but the adults made some quite bitchy remarks about it, and even about her eyebrows! In the previous book, a lot of girls were attracted to Naomi because of her pretty face. OK, that does happen in real life, a pretty girl will find it easier to attract friends, but you'd think the CS ethos would be that being attracted to someone's looks rather than their personality was shallow.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 08:58 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Nyota wrote:
How would it have been better if nobody said anything until they were back at school?

It's all about not washing your dirty linen in public.

Glad to see it's printed, I'll have to wait for my copy to make it half-way around the world. Although I only paid for sea-mail, over half of my GGBP books have arrived by air. Depends if I'm lucky this time ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019, 20:14 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Joey was so rude about Ted's eyebrows. At least she didn't say it to her face, but still. Joey was a scruffy little thing as a kid, Madge was always on at her to brush her hair, so her making digs at Ted's looks is a bit much. It's not Ted's fault she's got untidy hair!

I also agree that OOAO shouldn't have been left to deal with the situation on her own, mature though she is. This is one case when the staff should have stepped in. Throwing Ted's past in her face was a rotten thing to do as well - the whole point of Ted going to the CS was that she was going to make a new start and put it all behind her. Miss Annersley should have told Joey rather than fobbing her off with 'oh, it's been bad but we're all good now'. And Margot suddenly turning into this mad jealous girl is really bizarre - she wasn't nasty to Ros in Problem. Also, Margot's blackmail plot is irrational - I doubt Len would have dropped Ted over her past, she might have been a bit shocked but she's also a nice girl and she'd be willing to give Ted a chance because the school has. I know it was for plot reasons, but still.

Ted is a lovely character and I like how she bonds with Ros and Len in quarantine, and is afraid of getting them into trouble because she knows they wouldn't throw her under the bus. I seem to remember someone said she'd have made a good head girl, and I agree - she's bright, but lost, and it's a great opportunity for her to use her influence for good. It's sad how utterly useless her mum is, but at least Miss Carthew/Walton cares about her.

Con is best triplet. I love her in this book.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2020, 06:49