Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2020, 06:08

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: A Genius at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 04:08 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Please pretty please Alison.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 07:54 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Maybe in the new year when I've got more time :lol: . I do feel so sorry for her - and I do really like Mary-Lou in this book. No-one else seems to give a stuff about poor Hilda.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 01:28 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

I have a great deal of sympathy for Hilda as a naturally klutzy person. There's really no way I could, at any age, have played leap-frog while floating fairylike over the backs of the other people. I'd probably land *on* them. And Nina should not have been playing a game that involved putting her weight on her wrists.

And I agree with Nyota that Nina's freak-out is pretty understandable. She was raised with her music and her father as the centre of her life, with very little else in it. She lost the first, and even the thought of losing the second is unbearable.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 08:53 

I can understand Nina's reaction, but it's the way that everyone turns on Hilda that gets me. That sort of thing can happen with teenagers, and we see it happen in other GO books. Girls at Malory Towers are always sending someone to Coventry. Judy Blume's Blubber shows how bullies single out one person - and how someone who's all too glad to jump on the bandwagon then finds herself suddenly becoming the bullies' next target, when they tire of picking on their original victim. But the CS is supposed to be better than that, and no-one except Mary-Lou has an issue with the way poor Hilda's treated.

Even at Malory Towers, it's usually someone who's done something really bad, or is believed to have done something really bad. This was an accident. Miss Annersley has a go at her as well, and Joey is only concerned about Nina. Someone who has always got on well with everyone, and thought they were her friends, suddenly finds herself isolated and under attack, and it's not even as if she can go home to her family at the end of the day. It's a really nasty incident.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Books: A Genius at the Chalet SchoolIt's almost impossib
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 17:49 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I agree that Hilda is the victim here and it is the sort of accident that can happen at anytime with no need for all the blaming. Nina's reaction is likely and something she will just have to deal with. Does she ski? It's impossible to guard against all accidents.
Just a query about Nina - why does she have so much money? Did her father earn so much as a composer?

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 17:58 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

It goes against the “we don’t go on at you; it’s washed out” ethos that the CS is supposed to use. After Miss Burnett had scolded Hilda, that should have ended it.

I don’t think that we see a lot of Hilda after this, and definitely not in a “leading background” role. I think that her reaction to her classmates after this would be very guarded. She would probably not volunteer for anything, and not rush in to help anyone. Not that she would be unkind, but she’d probably withdraw somewhat.

It’s noted that her father earned as a composer and teacher, plus unspecified family money.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2019, 19:52 

I'd assume family money. Sir Guy is presumably a baronet rather than a knight, and "Brettingham Park" suggests a very big house with extensive grounds. That's not to say that his cousin would also have had money, but it seems likely. And maybe he had a life insurance policy?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2020, 06:08