Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 08 Jul 2020, 04:54

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phil Maynard's polio
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 19:06 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

I think vaccines often have egg bases, so people with egg allergies can't have them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 00:01 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

I, too, was a 1953 baby, and when it came to decide whether my daughter, born in 1980, should be vaccinated against whooping-cough, I naturally asked my mother for her opinion.

She said the canard that it caused more damage than it prevented had been around in the 1950s, too, and that a cousin, nine months older, had not been vaccinated for that very reason, had caught whooping-cough, and very nearly died. So I was vaccinated without question! As, indeed, was my daughter - the clinic did double-check that she was not allergic to eggs, but apart from that they were most supportive.

The only time I have ever tried to prevent my daughter's being vaccinated was sometime in the 1990s when every schoolchild had to be re-vaccinated against measles. She had had a bad reaction to the original immunisation, and was quite unwell for several days, and I found myself very reluctant to let her go through this again. She, of course, said "Don't be silly, Mummy!" and got her father to sign the permission slip, with me loudly sighing and saying Well If You Are Ill Don't Blame Me, but of course she was perfectly fine....

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 15:00 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Kate wrote:
I think vaccines often have egg bases, so people with egg allergies can't have them.

You may well be surprised how many are GM nowadays...

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 23:25 
Buying your school uniform

Until I had a toddler of my own I used to laugh in disbelief at the number of illnesses circulating at the CS. Now my child's at nursery, where whooping cough, measles and scarlet fever are circulating freely, and dangerously, I've had a rethink.

Whooping cough is nasty - a 'mild' case meant an ambulance trip, hospital stay and then about 3 months where our baby could only sleep on us, in a chair, completely upright. When we got scarlet fever last year I couldn't believe it - thought it had died out back in the days of Beth March. Luckily the GP spotted it, but even with AB it was really nasty. Now it seems everyone has it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 23:27 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

My friend's son recently had scarlet fever. I thought it'd died out in the 1950s, but evidently not!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 23:43 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

We're never told about head lice at the CS, are we? Yet I imagine it must have happened...

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 08:28 
Buying your school uniform

Genie wrote:
We're never told about head lice at the CS, are we? Yet I imagine it must have happened...

Perhaps it was just too awful for EBD to even write about it... though I'm sure she could have brought it in to some "naughty middles out of bounds and mixing with village children" type of event.

Though, now I think about it, I don't recall a single episode of head lice in my 12 years at school - I wonder if it happened but was hushed up, or we were just lucky that it was such a small school that they didn't take hold?

I'm amazed to hear that scarlet fever is still around - I haven't heard of any resurgence is Australia, though I know whooping cough is not that rare. And the TB and polio seem to occur here and there too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 09:28 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

Genie wrote:
It may not have, actually - I've been dismayed at the resurgence of head lice in recent years, because they were more or less unheard-of in the 1950s in the UK. I would think that one of the likely causes is that the younger children often sit close together around tables rather than at the long tables plus benches or desks in lines that were more usually the arrangement in UK schools in the 50s, even for the younger groups; children's hair was probably also washed less often then than now (and head lice do love a nice freshly-laundered head). And as Rubybel implies, it was considered extremely shaming by most people: EMBD would definitely have associated it with slum children. I'm slightly surprised it doesn't come into the evacuees storyline, though.

What I suppose Matey might have had were head inspections among the younger girls, probably under the guise of checking for whether they'd washed their necks properly, or had dandruff. We did have head inspections a couple of times a year at junior school, but never any infestations that I heard of - and even if you take very prompt action, it's hard to stop it spreading, so I don't think it's something you could hush up.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 09:36 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Noreen wrote:
It may not have, actually - I've been dismayed at the resurgence of head lice in recent years, because they were more or less unheard-of in the 1950s in the UK.

Not in my experience (State primary, England 1953 - 1960). The "nit nurse" came twice a term and a number of pupils were always "live".

Rubybel wrote:
I'm amazed to hear that scarlet fever is still around

Causitive organism Streptococcus pyogenes (Lancefield group A streptococcus). It never died out, but became less severe when toxigenic strains were replaced with non-toxigenic, in the natural cause of events, way, way back well before penicillin. Same germ which causes bacterial tonsillitis.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 10:24 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

We were "bug-combed" almost before we got through the door at boarding school in the 1950s. I can't remember it happening more than once a term though because as a logical child I could never understand why they didn't do it when we got back from half-term as well.

They also took our temperatures night and morning for the first three weeks of term. A much resented exercise since it meant getting up five minutes earlier and going to bed five minutes earlier as well. And again, only done at the beginning of term, not after half-term.

My brother had a very protracted episode of whooping cough last year and the doctor told him it was making a determined come-back across the country. Brother was very worried it would not have cleared in time for him to welcome his first granddaughter in November but all was well :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 16:57 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I had it as well - 2+ months of coughing so hard I was sick (OK, not every time I coughed) resulted in a slipped disk eventually.

Quite the most unpleasant illness I've had in a long time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 17:18 

Nitty Nora the bug explorer :lol: .

I can't remember a lot of issues with nits at secondary school, but there always seemed to be problems with them at primary school (1980s). Every time anyone got them, every kid in the school had to be checked by Nitty Nora, and told to use some shampoo which absolutely stank.

Despite everyone being told frequently that nits preferred clean hair so having nits didn't mean that someone was dirty, there was always a stigma attached to having them. I'm sure EBD would've thought that CS girls didn't get anything like that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 17:36 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I got them once at junior school, and the stuff to get rid of them was absolutely vile. But I think I was pretty lucky because somehow there wasn't any stigma about it at my school - we just bought into the "nits prefer clean hair" thing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 18:09 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Caroline wrote:
I had it as well - 2+ months of coughing so hard I was sick (OK, not every time I coughed) resulted in a slipped disk eventually.

Quite the most unpleasant illness I've had in a long time.

One of the few childhood ilnesses I had (in Coronation year). I therefore escaped our local outbreak a few years ago

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 21:22 
Learning all about Matey!

I never had nits as a child and both my sons went through school without catching them but since my grandson went to primary school 4 years ago he has had them several times and has passed them on to me 3 times. His primary school seems to be unable to eradicate them. I now check my hair weekly!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 10:01 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Alison H wrote:
I can't remember a lot of issues with nits at secondary school, but there always seemed to be problems with them at primary school (1980s). Every time anyone got them, every kid in the school had to be checked by Nitty Nora, and told to use some shampoo which absolutely stank.

I think nits tend to be more prevalent in primary schools because younger children have no concept of personal space and are more likely to put their heads close together, allowing the lice to jump from one to another. As children reach secondary school age, they've usually grown past that stage and are moving toward more adult patterns of personal space, so there's less head-to-head contact to allow the lice to spread.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 13:12 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

Llywela wrote:
Alison H wrote:

I think nits tend to be more prevalent in primary schools because younger children have no concept of personal space and are more likely to put their heads close together, allowing the lice to jump from one to another. As children reach secondary school age, they've usually grown past that stage and are moving toward more adult patterns of personal space, so there's less head-to-head contact to allow the lice to spread.

I never had nits at school. However, I did catch them in my first term at Uni. I'm not completely sure how this happened. The only thing I can think of is that we used a language lab, listening to tapes through headphones. I think I must have caught them from the previous user, as they were never disinfected or anything like that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 18:05 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

The previous user was never disinfected?! :shock: :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 19:48 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

Oops, sorry. I meant the headphones! :lol:

Random thought inspired by the mention of headphones. I wonder whether Joey ever caught head lice from her children in the later years? They would have been a nightmare to treat. :shock: :D

Edited once to correct grammar

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 20:17 

Drabble, someone, please!! Joey gets nits and therefore has to cut off her horrible "earphones" :lol: .

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 08 Jul 2020, 04:54