Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 08:16

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: The Maids of La Rochelle
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 14:32 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

All else being equal, perhaps Anne and Elizabeth would have worked at the Chalet School. Miss Everett is the Lucys' gardener and teaches; Anne and Elizabeth could have been part-time art and English teachers to supplement their creative endeavours.

I quite like this alternate reality -- it could go in all sorts of directions. Would Anne and Elizabeth have followed the school off Guernsey? What would their relationships with their pupil-nieces be like? Would they have gone to Switzerland? In which case they might have bagged husbands anyway!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 18:55 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

mynameisdumbnuts wrote:
All else being equal, perhaps Anne and Elizabeth would have worked at the Chalet School. Miss Everett is the Lucys' gardener and teaches; Anne and Elizabeth could have been part-time art and English teachers to supplement their creative endeavours.

I quite like this alternate reality -- it could go in all sorts of directions. Would Anne and Elizabeth have followed the school off Guernsey? What would their relationships with their pupil-nieces be like? Would they have gone to Switzerland? In which case they might have bagged husbands anyway!

Rightly or wrongly, I just cannot see Elizabeth teaching in a school. Anne, maybe, but never Elizabeth. A bit more of what she did with Pollie, maybe, but in a school, no.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 19:51 

I could see Elizabeth doing the kind of one-on-one tutoring Jo did for Polly Herriot. She's fluent in French, so she could do that as well as English.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 20:55 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

I'm reading it at the moment - I liked the foreword about Guernsey. I know little about it, other than one of my favourite footballers of all time (Matt Le Tissier, who used to play for Southampton) comes from there. He got asked about speaking the Guernsey language. He doesn't himself, though he did tweet in it once.

Quote:
Interviewer: Fair enough. Do you speak Dgèrnésiais?
Le Tissier: What?
Interviewer: (Dubious pronunciation) …Dgèrnésiais, the language of Guernsey?
Le Tissier: I’ve never heard of it. There’s an old Guernsey patois which my grandparents speak. It’s a mixture of French and English, but the younger ones don’t speak it at all.

Were people really that superstitious? I've just finished reading the really creepy bit where Anne gets chased home and Mrs de Garis thinks Anne cursed her baby, and I got spoiled by the encyclopaedia about the White Witch trying to burn down the cottage and Anne's painting that freaks everyone out. And then there's the bit in Seven Scamps with the older kids walking around Lihou Island dressed up as ghosts and singing the Lyke Wake Dirge which, to be fair, is quite a creepy song. The Temple sisters' English is a bit weird at parts as well, it's almost like Franglaise.

I went to Guernsey on holiday once as a kid, and it was a lovely place - we went to Herm and Sark as well. I remember Herm having a beautiful beach made of tiny seashells, and Sark banning cars. I would have liked to go to Alderney, but it was a bit far out - isn't it the one nearest to France, or is that Jersey? I didn't recognise anything in the photos in the book, but it was a long time ago.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 08:16