Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 08:51

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions. To Post or not to Post?
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 14:20 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Finn wrote:
Yeah, dammit, I'm waiting for my review! ;) :twisted:

(Seriously, don't worry too much. I think the panicked, "Nonono!" is enough of a review, really :D)

I have a question, however. After the sequel (naming no resolutions or spoilers) I had in mind another Susie drabble, set during Gay From China, in which Susie returns to the CS in wartime - but in the last month or so I've been taken over by a rather fun idea about a Susie drabble set partly during WWII and partly during the Spanish Civil War. Naturally, the first would be a more CS-based story and therefore fit the world of CS fanfic better and possibly be more popular with the CS fanfic audience, but the second...well, it's rather fun, and I think it has great dramatic potential - the Spanish Civil War, Communists the French Resistance and so on (all terribly Susie) - and I could even tie it in with The Mathematician (not sure how but I can work on it).

But it also troubles me. I know a lot of people have stopped reading T&M over the past year or so and, while I am not about to castigate or complain, I'd prefer to write something that was more widely enjoyed. (Not that I know how many people read and enjoy T&M, but it does look like Part III had far fewer readers than Parts I&II). Anyway, I want to write something that fires people's interests, so would like to know, please, whether people (who care) would prefer to read option 1 (Gay From China) or option 2 (Spanish Civil War)?

(Maybe I should have started a new thread and poll, but I thought that might seem big-headed!)

Again, this might not help you much, but I'd love to read both of them! (actually, just anything with Susie would be great)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 14:26 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

fizzan wrote:
Again, this might not help you much, but I'd love to read both of them! (actually, just anything with Susie would be great)

*Echoes this* :) I'd jsut say pretty much anything you want to write ;-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 14:32 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

roversgirl wrote:
fizzan wrote:

*Echoes this* :) I'd jsut say pretty much anything you want to write ;-)

Me three.

I do love wartime CS stories, though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 14:46 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Bah! Three votes for Gay From China, one vote for Spanish Civil War and four for both!

That said, I am now working on a way to combine them...which may or may not work...

*ponders*

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 15:11 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Which makes both the winner then! ;-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 15:53 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Thanks to Abi and roversgirl, I think I may have worked out a way to make the two stories run into each other - SCW one was set 1936-1942/3 and of course, Gay From China isn't till 1943, and one leads into the other quite nicely, so it is actually possible for me to write them both!

Never say I don't give you what you ask for...

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 15:59 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

*cheers* :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :jester: :jester:

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 16:47 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Re. sequel to T&M - I'm waiting for various reasons: To give myself a break from it, for young Josie to catch up (I think she's onto Part II now!) and to get a fair bit written and plotted before I start posting.

Soon, though, I promise.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 20:38 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Finn wrote:
Re. sequel to T&M - I'm waiting for various reasons: To give myself a break from it, for young Josie to catch up (I think she's onto Part II now!) and to get a fair bit written and plotted before I start posting.

Soon, though, I promise.

I think she'll appreciate that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 23:17 
Learning to play Lacrosse

Yup! I do, and I am. I love it! I'm slightly concerned about the flowers, though! Juliet's bunch rules out Nico, so if he's not sending them...who is?

Part III is so long...but Josie Goes will be even longer! (Nah, nah, ne nah nah!)

Why are you waiting for me, though? It seems quite a...well, big thing to do for one person.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 23:27 
End of term...again
End of term...again

I was just finding excuses, really...

Actually, I'm possibly going to go with what Kathryn said and set myself a target. Which I may or may not just have reached. So I could be posting a new story in the next couple of days. Or maybe the next couple of minutes...

Oh, and good luck beating T&M Part III! And if you think that's long, you should try beating New Dreams...

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 00:18 

I'll have a post for each day, for a year (an academic year) so good luck beating 300+ chapters!

Still quite cool to be used as an excuse, though!

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 00:34 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Well, you are an excuse no longer...for I have posted the opening part of the sequel! I didn't mean to do it so early, but I was nagged into it... (Abi, roversgirl, I'm looking at you... ;) )

On SDL
On LGM

I add the links because some people on here were asking for it...

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 01:21 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Who me?! *Attempts to look innocent* I'n sure it was Abi's fault. Fabulous start to the new sequel and I recommend it highly... I am looking forward to the new Gay and Spanish Civil War one!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 14:02 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Finn wrote:
On SDL
On LGM

I add the links because some people on here were asking for it...

That's a very good idea Finn. I rarely read drabbles anymore because I never think of going to either LGM or SDL. They don't appeal to me visually - I do find that is important to me - (apologies to the creators :( )and they are simply not in my consciousness.

I used to read drabbles quite a lot when they were on here and if I finally remember to visit either of the other sites I find I have missed good stuff. But I find SDL particularly hard to catch up on because I don't always remember the authors I like and only a limited number of the latest additions show up easily.

Mea culpa I know, but the occasional link from drabblers would be useful to me. I don't know about others....

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 23:24 

Sorry, cestina, I haven't a scooby-do how to do links. Oooh, a sequel to T&M...how exciting!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 01:41 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

:popper: for more T&M! :D :reading: And what a great start!

Beecharmer, thanks for such a long and insightful comment.
Quote:
There is an assumption that if you tried being with a man/woman you'd suddenly see what you were missing - which always tempts me to suggest by that logic they can't know they are straight unless they try the other way (which is only ever said inside my head, as i reckon said aloud it could sound rather 'let me convert you, my dear..' *evil cackle*)

Yes, I've heard/read that one a few times, and I always feel the same temptation! And I frequently get its cousin "I know you say you're happy being single, but you don't know what you're missing/must secretly like someone", which just makes me want to headdesk into oblivion.

Quote:
So I think that any of them might be shocked/worried/confused - especially as in that era there was a suggestion of it being an illness or perversion. I also think that with any parent the shock could make them react in a way they might regret later.

I think that's what I really meant by Jem being unsympathetic - not so much permanently opposed as taking longer to be brought round... no idea why. And now I think more about it, if I remember right Jack's the one with a quick temper in canon, and might therefore be the one who initially explodes and later regrets it. I do agree they'd all put the person first in the end, though.

Someone, (Josie? which do you prefer?), you can format links like this:
Code:
[url=actual link here]whatever you want to call it[/url]

So for your SDL profile, for example, you'd use
Code:
[url=http://sallydennylibrary.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=228]Someone's SDL profile[/url]
to get Someone's SDL profile

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 01:50 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Oh you superstar, I can never remember how to do that, now I'll save that as a note and hopefully remember!

Glad I'm not the only one feels that! :-D

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 08:37 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Beecharmer wrote:
There is an assumption that if you tried being with a man/woman you'd suddenly see what you were missing.

This assumption has its friends too...

- you're only lesbian because you haven't had sex with a good enough male lover. (there are some men in my car club who really seem to believe this)

- if you're in a same sex relationship you are therefore gay/lesbian. Bi isn't really allowed (see the Tom Daley news coverage, EVEN in Pink Times). Make you mind up woman, you have to choose one or the other.

What has this to do with posting Drabbles? :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 08:53 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Lol. You should suggest they are only straight because they haven't been with a good enough male lover... :-D

Yes, there's a lot of assumptions both sides. Bi folk often seem to feel ignored from both sides.

Um. There would have been something about drabbles initially, i'm sure !! :-D probably me blathering about one of my versions of gay CS characters ...

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 08:51