Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 08:44

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions. Joey patriotic?
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 07:01 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Beecharmer wrote
Quote:
Oh those Joey secret agent plot bunnies do appeal.

<looks beseeching> Oh, yes please, do give those ones a good workout! Would love to read that :-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 07:34 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Finn wrote:
Beecharmer wrote:
"Turn gay" always makes me feel like someone got lost in the countryside one day and then returned. "Where were you?" "Oh sorry, didn't mean to be so long, but you see I took a gay turn " ...

Snort! Splutter!

I took one of those a while ago, but I decided I like the scenic route!

Hahahahahaha! Like that description ! So that roads twists and turns depending on which view is more appealing at the time eh? ;-)

One view's ok for me, I reckon. I'm not that complex, once that turn was taken it's (not so) straight on home for me! Which is probably why I shy away from writing many characters who are destined for the scenic route. Except I suppose now I think about it, you could count various versions of Con Stewert / Mackenzie ! :-D

I have changed my mind though Finn, I need more Ted and S (initial in case would case spoilers), T and S, or flashback scenes for S and N? Or Matty and *sob* I guess not Tristan? *waves very battered flag for that AU forlornly* and Nell and *please please please* Con.

I am quite tempted Noreen, but what would be better, does anyone think, Alternative Joey secret agent or a standalone one? Or has anyone alread done that bunny in the archives, or want to do it ?

As a separate question, I've been holding off on School of
Adventure till finished writing the 'midquel' just before it, as a few people got confused before when I jumped back and forward, but does anyone think it'd be ok to run the two at the same time? Or should I write School of ready to post after Missing Scenes is finished, and keep to one on the go in that AU at a time ? I planned on the midquel being fairly short, but actually it's taking a while to gestate, lots of potentially angsty family threads to follow!

Going back a bit, nice to see others getting as lost in the research as me! And very true Mary about using it sparingly. I do find that it seems to mainly be important to me that I know, it doesn't have to be in the story much.

Lol to the Australian prison system Lesley, yes hopefully you won't need to know !

Does anyone musical know what the war time Jazz / Blues / pre Rock and Roll music scene might have called itself? Also whether a rich white girl like Corney would be made unwelcome / mistrusted and have to stick to Big Band / Swing (probably wrong terms - Glen Miller type stuff ) with her saxophone if she wanted to follow up on it? I haven't checked yet, it might be obvious, but would Glen Miller type bands have included saxophones?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 10:46 
Arguing from cause to effect

Couldn't say for sure whether Corney would have been welcome as a jazz sax player, Beecharmer, but many of the audience for the Harlem jazz clubs were rich white people. As a general rule, as far as musos are concerned, it's your sound not your skin that counts.

The Wartime music scene was really an extension of the Swing era. Jazz was around, of course, but it didn't seem to be the in thing here or in the States. Glenn Miller's sound was based round clarinets and saxophones.

In the UK, women like Ivy Benson were not only playing but forming their own bands. I believe there were a few women sax players in American bands but couldn't name any offhand!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 10:47 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Beecharmer wrote:

I haven't checked yet, it might be obvious, but would Glen Miller type bands have included saxophones?

Oh yes indeed, it was one of the main instruments round which the Band was formed - see (and hear) here

Though whether a female would have been welcome or not I am unsure.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 21:01 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Too late, Kathryn, the damage has been done. I was unable to sleep last night for thinking about the wretched Grace Nalder story, so I've given in and started it.

One question for anyone interested in said drabble (available at all good forum-based drabble sites and libraries named after minor CS characters) - should Susie be in it? I'm torn at the moment between including her as a sort of confidante and sticking more strictly to CS canon, and would welcome outside opinions on the subject.

Thanks.

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 14:18 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Beecharmer wrote:
Quote:
what would be better, does anyone think, Alternative Joey secret agent or a standalone one?

Fiction isn't one of my gifts, so I'd never try telling anyone how to write it. I'd happily read either!

Originally I just thought that if Joey were travelling about during WW2 (even within the USA, though outside it would give even more scope) she might be in a position to observe things and/ or pass on things as a courier. And of course she would have to keep it Top Secret, so unfortunately couldn't use it to rebut any criticism of being unpatriotic...

OTOH you might prefer to make this a Cold War scenario (she's bound to have picked up some Russian, and could doubtless soon be fluent in it if she wasn't already). In which case, George Smiley, eat your heart out!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 17:08 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Beecharmer wrote:
but what would be better, does anyone think, Alternative Joey secret agent or a standalone one? Or has anyone alread done that bunny in the archives, or want to do it ?

As a separate question, I've been holding off on School of Adventure till finished writing the 'midquel' just before it, as a few people got confused before when I jumped back and forward, but does anyone think it'd be ok to run the two at the same time? Or should I write School of ready to post after Missing Scenes is finished, and keep to one on the go in that AU at a time ? I planned on the midquel being fairly short, but actually it's taking a while to gestate, lots of potentially angsty family threads to follow!

I'm not sure I see the Joey in your AJ being mature enough to be a secret agent? She could do better secret agenting in a seperate drabble, maybe set in Europe rather than America?

As for your other question, I'm way behind with a lot of drabbles in LGM but I think it's fine to have both Adventure ones on the go at once?

Finn - again, I'm way behind with your stories (especially if they are only on SDL as I hardly go there now), but I think with any of your stories I tend to assume that Susie is a real, essential character!

Whatever you decide, thank you both for all your drabble writing!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 21:03 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Resurrecting this thread - and rather sad to see that Linda was the last person to post on it.

I mentioned ages and ages ago that I'm writing Brothers up as a novel and asked whether anyone wanted to read along, or proof-read, or generally help in the creation of the novel. I have now (finally) sorted out the background and managed to squash Susie in in a way that will suit the story, as well as finding new and suitable names and characteristics for the Tristan and Sarah characters.

I'm writing this appeal again now because I've forgotten who said yea, they would like to read. I'm writing slowly though some bits are staying the same, and will happily send as I write or send the whole lot once it's written.

Let me know anyway, either here or via PM, and I'd be super-grateful for any help received!

Thanks.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions. Finn looking for novel read
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 19:04 

Don't think I did volunteer, Finn, but I would be very happy to help of you think I'd be suitable.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 20:30 
End of term...again
End of term...again

I'd be very glad to have your opinion, shesings - in the spirit of mutual appreciation, I admire your writing very much! I will email you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2014, 21:07 
End of term...again
End of term...again

You know that feeling when you've written the first chapter of a new drabble, and you really shouldn't, really, really shouldn't post it?

That. Argh.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2014, 22:38 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Yes. I'm the worst for doing that, then I get three chapters in and go arghhhhhh I didn't mean to do that. I then spend half the rest of the drabble trying to get onto the track I'd have done from the start if I resisted !

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Drabble Subject Discussions. To Post or not to Post?
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2014, 01:39 
Learning to play Lacrosse

This may suprise some of you, but the hardest character for me to write is...

Josie. That's right, me, myself, I. I thought it would be so easy, using a ready-made character, but I'm trying to be realistic, and then there's the small problem of trying not to come across as a bad person, but trying not to be concieted either.

Another big problem is that I've made the Mob too big and I feel it's unrealistic and I can't fit them all in...but I can't cut any of them iut, it wouldn't be fair!

Any opinions on these would be such a help.

What I love about having an AU in the future is I get to write in the personalities of babies. My favourite characters to write are Cecil and Phil, with their jeans and curly hair and tough fighter attitudes.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 20:08 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Read through the whole thread when I couldn't get to sleep, and I'm still laughing at the discussions on Nell's pyjamas and gay turns! :lol:

Someone, I don't have any advice with your first problem, I'm afraid - Never tried that. For the second, though, if having your whole cast together is becoming unwieldy, maybe you could find a reason to split them into smaller groups, and devote alternating chapters to each group? I don't know if it would work with your story, just an idea.

Hmm, drabble discussions... I still owe Finn an actual review (as opposed to semi-coherent flailing!) on the end of Tea and Militancy III, but my brain is still at the "Noooooooooooo, you can't end it there!!!!!" wailing stage. Does this happen to other people?

And looking back at the first page, re Madge, Joey, etc being sympathetic to a same-sex relationship or not - I eventually wrote Joey and Jack as sympathetic, though I wasn't 100% sure about it. Madge I think might find it difficult because I feel it would be completely outside her experience, but she might come round... and Jem I definitely see as unsympathetic, though I can't explain why!

I also feel like the reactions might be different if it was, say, Nancy and Kathie - who are friends, but not particularly close to them -, than they would be for Nell and Hilda, who are almost family. And oh my goodness, imagine one of the MBR clan coming out...

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 21:09 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Yeah, dammit, I'm waiting for my review! ;) :twisted:

(Seriously, don't worry too much. I think the panicked, "Nonono!" is enough of a review, really :D)

I have a question, however. After the sequel (naming no resolutions or spoilers) I had in mind another Susie drabble, set during Gay From China, in which Susie returns to the CS in wartime - but in the last month or so I've been taken over by a rather fun idea about a Susie drabble set partly during WWII and partly during the Spanish Civil War. Naturally, the first would be a more CS-based story and therefore fit the world of CS fanfic better and possibly be more popular with the CS fanfic audience, but the second...well, it's rather fun, and I think it has great dramatic potential - the Spanish Civil War, Communists the French Resistance and so on (all terribly Susie) - and I could even tie it in with The Mathematician (not sure how but I can work on it).

But it also troubles me. I know a lot of people have stopped reading T&M over the past year or so and, while I am not about to castigate or complain, I'd prefer to write something that was more widely enjoyed. (Not that I know how many people read and enjoy T&M, but it does look like Part III had far fewer readers than Parts I&II). Anyway, I want to write something that fires people's interests, so would like to know, please, whether people (who care) would prefer to read option 1 (Gay From China) or option 2 (Spanish Civil War)?

(Maybe I should have started a new thread and poll, but I thought that might seem big-headed!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 21:18 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

elennare wrote:
I also feel like the reactions might be different if it was, say, Nancy and Kathie - who are friends, but not particularly close to them -, than they would be for Nell and Hilda, who are almost family.

Oooh, interesting thought :) Which way round would you see the reactions: more sympathetic to Hilda and Nell, because they're closer to them; or more sympathetic to Nancy and Kathie because, not being so close to them, they won't really have to encounter it directly?

Btw, Finn, as one of the former T&M readers, I'd like to say that it's not any reflection on your drabble that I had to stop reading, it's simply that life got in the way for a while and, once it does that, it's hard to get caught up with the longer drabbles! (I would vote for the Gay in China option though, if a vote from someone so seriously behind on reading counts at all!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 23:10 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

I would like a Gay from China story too. But first pleasecan may we have T & M part 4 before too long?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 23:57 

I love T&M. Xi Mei doesn't, though! It makes me laugh too much.

Thanks for the suggestion about my drabble, though. Splitting the Mob seems a good idea.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 06:18 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Finn, both those sound really interesting! Sorry, I know that's not helpful, but I honestly would read either (or both ;)). I'm seconding ivohenry's plea for TM part 4, though.

Eleanore wrote:
Oooh, interesting thought :) Which way round would you see the reactions: more sympathetic to Hilda and Nell, because they're closer to them; or more sympathetic to Nancy and Kathie because, not being so close to them, they won't really have to encounter it directly?

It's tricky, I think it could go either way - which is why I didn't expand further! I think it would depend on how sympathetic or not they were in general. Let's take Madge, Hilda and Nell for an example: if Madge were unsure of how she felt about it, the fact that it was two people she loved and trusted might help her be accepting; but if she was completely opposed to the idea, that same fact might make it worse. Does that make sense? (It's late, but it's too ridiculously hot to sleep!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 13:56 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Well I've so far had Len, Con, Bride, Nancy, Kathy, Hilda and Nell be found out and/or come out to Jem/Madge/Jack/Joey - possibly more, I've lost track of who I have written about now. Far too much writing and posting when had no sleep !

I think the Jem I feel I see in the books would be quite level and supportive, although he'd not be prying to find out more. The Jem discussed on the CBB never seems to line up with my own view of him from the books, so that Jem might have a problem with it.

I think Madge would be torn between love of the person and worry about them. Jack I think could struggle to know how to handle things best, and I think Joey would try hard but be tactless on occasion but would look past the "condition" to the person she knows.

With any of them I think they might (like an awful lot of straight woman and men do now) assume it to be lack of experience, or maybe fear of men/women. I think most people would be more accepting of a long standing "close friendship" turning out to be a couple than to an individual young family member saying that this is the way they are. There is an assumption that if you tried being with a man/woman you'd suddenly see what you were missing - which always tempts me to suggest by that logic they can't know they are straight unless they try the other way (which is only ever said inside my head, as i reckon said aloud it could sound rather 'let me convert you, my dear..' *evil cackle*)

So I think that any of them might be shocked/worried/confused - especially as in that era there was a suggestion of it being an illness or perversion. I also think that with any parent the shock could make them react in a way they might regret later. Ideally I wouldn't want a child of mine to be gay if there was a choice, purely from the point of view that growing up can be difficult enough, without having something extra that makes you see some things differently to your friends and family to deal with, although I'd obviously be supportive of it if that's the way they found they were built.

So I think the MBR parents would all struggle if they had it suddenly told to them, especially with a younger person. However to me they come across in the books loving and thoughtful people, and so that's why I think that they would ultimately put the person before their prejudices.

However the difference even in the last 15 years in how open we can be as a couple always brings back to me just how far understanding and attitudes have come in the 60 or more years since this was set. That means that I also can see there being a lot of likelyhood of ignoring the situation, refusing to acknowledge partners, even trying to 'cure' the person, or seeing it as non compatible with their faith. So even the characters I like could well behave in a way that would have hurt the people considered, doing it in a misguided attempt at love.

Finn, before I forget, I prefer the idea of the Gay from China option.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 08:44