Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 17:08

Post subject: Alternative Exile
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2019, 15:55 
Arguing with your guardian

I am writing a manuscript for an alternative exile fanfic, where the Pro-Nazi Chalet school is allowed to stay in the Third Reich.

I know this is contentious, and some of you don't like the idea of the Nazi chalet school, but as someone who had studied this period of History, i really wanted to write about it.

I will start posting the manuscript on this thread (Probably part by part - Each part contains several chapters.)

It is a first effort, so forgive me if it is not perfect. I may take some time to review it before posting.

Any responses to this idea?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Alternative Exile
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2019, 16:36 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Any sort of fanfic is OK, within reason - no-one is obliged to read it if it's something that they personally would prefer not to read about.

However, drabbles/fanfics haven't been posted on the CBB for several years, as we had problems at one time with the board being overloaded and therefore the decision was taken to remove them from the site. The Sally Denny Library site isn't working at the moment, but there are various other fanfic sites - if you want to post your manuscript on one of those and post a link to it, that would be fine.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2019, 22:25 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Seconding Alison. It isn't a question of whether or not people are sympathetic to your idea, it is that fiction of any sort is no longer permitted on this site. The Sally Denny Library was set up specifically to take the drabbles that used to be here, but as Alison says, it isn't currently working.

There are several other sites you could look up that might be a home for your ideas - An Archive of Our Own would seem to be the best fit

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2019, 20:21 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/19702864

I have posted part 1 here.

As I say it is a first writing effort, and there is probably room for improvement, but I just wanted to share something I had written

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2019, 17:23 

By the way, if anyone has started reading it, please leave a comment on the website or on this thread. I would be interested to hear your feedback

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 14:04 
Buying your school uniform

iwantarolex wrote:
By the way, if anyone has started reading it, please leave a comment on the website or on this thread. I would be interested to hear your feedback

Okay, I'll bite, as I did find the fic over on AO3, and I've written in some fairly dark settings myself. It's not that I don't think you should be able to write about this period, exactly, but I find myself wondering what your aims for the fic are. Right now it just reads like a bit of a Hitler lovefest, which I think will unsettle most people.

Why are the characters this way? What has been different about their experiences, or what is different about history? I saw that you did a bit of this with Joey's Napoleon-worship, which is a good start. Are there honestly no naysayers in the school who the reader can identify with during all this, who can show us all a bit of hope and provoke the others out of their comfortable, fun fascism? Think of any novel or drama you ever read or watched about the Third Reich - there is always something else going on, something that shows us humanity still exists in the darkness, or something which explores its loss.

I don't want to make you feel bad about your writing, we were all new at some point. But without some sign that there is more to your fic than "everyone is a huge Nazi, what fun!", I think you won't get much of an audience - or you might find yourself with one you don't want. Sorry. :/

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 17:08