Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 09:58

Post subject: EBDs feelings on the paperbacks
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 22:01 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

How do people think EBD felt about the publication of the paperbacks? Particularly about the fact that many of them were abridged? I think EBD herself worked on the abridgement of the early paperbacks. Do people think she was sad that they weren’t being republished in full? Or do people think that she was just glad that they were being republished at all. I presume at that stage many of the hardbacks were out of print. She presents the publication in paperback in a positive light in the newsletters. She says that because they will be cheaper than the hardbacks they will be affordable to more people. Also how do people think she felt about the splitting of a few of the hardbacks into 2 paperbacks?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: EBDs feelings on the paperbacks
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 22:47 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Abridged versions of loads of books, including the classics, were produced, so she probably just accepted that it was par for the course, and was glad that the books were being republished, partly for financial reasons and partly because it meant she could hope for a new generation of readers.

I can't imagine she enjoyed seeing her work being butchered, though. Some of the books were chopped to bits, and a lot of the descriptive passages which she must have put a lot of thought into, and which would have brought back happy memories of her holiday in Tyrol, went completely.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 01:03 

I would be upset at the abridgement if I was EBD. However as Clarissa Cridland says we should be thankful that the Armada paperbacks were published at all as enough of the story remained to enchant new readers. It is highly unlikely that GGBP would be republishing the CS in unabridged beautiful volumes with extras if the Armada paperbacks had never been published as the last CS hardback was published in 1970 and there simply wouldn’t have been enough of a market for GGBP to republish.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 13:16 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

EBD said that the only time she made significant amounts of money from writing was once the paperbacks appeared....

She was involved in the preparation (and possibly the selection) of the first books to be "Armada-ised" so must have felt she had some control over what happened. For us, the descriptions add depth and interest to the books but perhaps EBD felt the "story" was the best bit! Her public face was to welcome the paperbacks.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 03:26 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

I'm one of those - I came across the Armada series in a bookshop near my work in the early 1990s. Then I bought new ones as they came out, and others second hand. The GGBP books are helpful to me as I only own two hardbacks (Goes to it and Oberland). I'm in the process of scanning these hardbacks for Distributed Proofreaders Canada, as EBD is out of copyright there. (There's a lot of EJO works being proofed as well).

Chloe wrote:
I would be upset at the abridgement if I was EBD. However as Clarissa Cridland says we should be thankful that the Armada paperbacks were published at all as enough of the story remained to enchant new readers. It is highly unlikely that GGBP would be republishing the CS in unabridged beautiful volumes with extras if the Armada paperbacks had never been published as the last CS hardback was published in 1970 and there simply wouldn’t have been enough of a market for GGBP to republish.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 04:05 

I didn’t realise that the only time EBD made significant amounts of money from writing was when the paperbacks were published. That’s quite sad as the first paperbacks were published in I think May 1967 and EBD died in September 1969 so had very little time to enjoy the money. I had known that she wasn’t rich when she died. I often think that it’s a pity that she’s not alive to benefit both financially and happiness wise from the interest in and publication of her books now(I know she would be 126 if she was alive).

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 09:58