Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 22:24

Post subject: Argue to get holiday books published
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 19:59 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I seem to remember reading somewhere that somebody or a group of people had to argue with Armada to get the holiday books published in paperback at all. Certainly the holiday books were among the last of the CS books to be published in paperback by Armada. Does anybody know who argued to get them published in paperback? Also were any of EBDs other books ever published in paperback(aside from GGBP paperbacks)?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Argue to get holiday books published
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 00:43 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I just read elsewhere on the board that Armada published the holiday books eventually under pressure(they didn’t want to publish them). When they published them they published them discreetly. How bizarre. Surely if you are a publisher publishing a book it is in your interest to sell as many copies as possible(economies of scale). If you sell very few it is not financially worth your while publishing. I can see no benefit to the publishers in publishing them discreetly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 11:40 
Deciding to learn Russian

Only other UK paperbacks were geog readers and CS and Rosalie. There were 4 paperback CS books published in Portuguese (School at, Jo of, Princess and Rivals I think) Don't know of any other translations - why Portuguese I wonder?

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 13:35 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

IIRC, Armada had wanted to stop publishing the CS in paperback and it was only when the editor responsible for them demonstrated the numbers in which they were selling that Armada continued to do so. It was the realisation that the books were selling to adults not just to children that defeated the "holiday books" argument eventually.

I believe the "discreet" refers to the books not being "pushed" as children's sales but, as children's books, they weren't "pushed" to adults either. On the other hand most books aren't advertised beyond appearing in the publisher's list so it was hardly unusual. Certainly, they were widely available in WH Smiths and the independent book shops. I had no problem in finding them as they came out.

Two things scuppered the CS books with a mainstream publisher. Firstly, the 4 facsimile hardbacks sold badly and many ended up being remaindered. Then the Collins reprint (the one with the odd "blocky" cover pictures, known as style 5) sold badly. There are a number of reasons why that might have happened but it lead to the abandonment of Collins plans for reprinting - just after they'd announced the intention to reprint some of the rarer titles to many people's disappointment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 17:30 

Victoria wrote:
IIRC, Armada had wanted to stop publishing the CS in paperback and it was only when the editor responsible for them demonstrated the numbers in which they were selling that Armada continued to do so. It was the realisation that the books were selling to adults not just to children that defeated the "holiday books" argument eventually.

I believe the "discreet" refers to the books not being "pushed" as children's sales but, as children's books, they weren't "pushed" to adults either. On the other hand most books aren't advertised beyond appearing in the publisher's list so it was hardly unusual. Certainly, they were widely available in WH Smiths and the independent book shops. I had no problem in finding them as they came out.

Two things scuppered the CS books with a mainstream publisher. Firstly, the 4 facsimile hardbacks sold badly and many ended up being remaindered. Then the Collins reprint (the one with the odd "blocky" cover pictures, known as style 5) sold badly. There are a number of reasons why that might have happened but it lead to the abandonment of Collins plans for reprinting - just after they'd announced the intention to reprint some of the rarer titles to many people's disappointment.

Guess these all sold badly as they were the ones most people already had, they were reprinted many times in hb. I suppose they wanted to start at the beginning to catch new readers.

Last edited by ivohenry on 01 May 2020, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020, 17:46 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

I think too that everyone thought they would be facsimiles of the firsts, with the Nina K Brisley illustrations, and in fact only the dws were her ills, and the inside ones were modern and many people were disappointed...

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 18:53 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Victoria wrote:

That is absolutely fascinating. Please don't be offended if I ask what your source for all this is.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 14:11 

It's been put together over various bits of reading over the years.

For example, the editor responsible for the Armada paperbacks in the 1990s (and possibly earlier) was several times quoted in the FOC newsletter over various matters. I believe that's from where the information on Armada wanting to pull the plug on the books and then being surprised by the actual sales numbers came, for example.

The issue with poor sales of the Collins editions was discussed heavily at the time, I suspect here as much as anywhere else. That the books were remaindered was reported at the time by people with experience of the remaindering both on the sales and on the buying side. The announcement of the titles to be published in Collins and the subsequent pulling of the reprinting was definitely in the FOC newsletter.

I'm afraid I can't provide "chapter and verse" if that is for what you are looking. Soneone with the FOC indices might be able to help.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 22:24