Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 10:20

Post subject: Fill ins
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 03:55 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

Does anybody know if Pat Willimott’s book about the CS folk in Guernsey is still going to be published? Also does anybody know are there anymore upcoming fill ins either by GGBP or other publishers. I know GGBP are publishing one about Guernsey later this year.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Fill ins
PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 17:03 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

"A Refuge for the Chalet School", about the early months in Guernsey, was recently published, if that is what you are thinking of.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 17:36 

Thanks Mrs Redboots, but I was referring to Pat Willimott’s book about Guernsey. Pat passed away, but there were a couple of people working on editing her book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 19:33 
Sharing a joke with the doctor
Sharing a joke with the doctor

There's another Guernsey one sometime later this year I think, not Pat's but can't remember who the author is.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 19:49 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

I believe 2 people who are de facto if not de juro Pat W's literary executors, are working towards getting her book published.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 08:04 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

ivohenry wrote:
There's another Guernsey one sometime later this year I think, not Pat's but can't remember who the author is.

Katherine Bruce (KB on the CBB).

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 11:40 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Is there a post anywhere about fill-ins ‘in the pipeline’? I seem to remember one but can’t find it

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 15:28 

The fill ins I have heard of are GGBP version of CS Girls in India, Gay in China, More New Beginnings, Jack of the CS, A CS Partnership, Pat’s book on Guernsey and somebody on here once said that they were either in the process of writing or else that they were going to write a book on Glendower House. I would love to hear news of more forthcoming fill ins.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 15:36 

Most of them will be on the GGBP site at https://www.ggbp.co.uk/ - though they only announce when they have some idea when something will come out. And of course that only works for their own titles, not what might come from somewhere/someone else.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 19:29 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Given that we told in 2016 not to expect Pat Willmott's book any time soon, and that was 4 years ago without hearing anything more, I feel that it is unlikely we are going to see anything. I was told by a bookseller that her first book did not sell well. Whether or not that has had any influence on what's happened - I don't know.

I gather New New Beginnings and Gay In China were intended books but that life got in the way (!) so it doesn't look as though either of those are likely to see the light of day now.

I asked about the India book some years ago. Again, we were told it was coming along slowly but, given the time that's now elapsed, it doesn't really seem that we are likely to see that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 21:39 

Oh I hope we will see all of the above fill ins and more. Positive thinking. It actually works.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 23:04 

I was looking at GGBP’s time schedule for fill ins in the past. They have published a new fill in every year since 2002 and in 2018 and 2019 actually published 2 new fill ins per year. They are publishing Katherine Bruce’s fill in about the CS in Guernsey later this year. That leads me to conclude that they must have more fill ins in the pipeline-at least one per year for the next couple of years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2020, 18:34 

I am sure there will be more fills-in. What I don't think we are going to see are those mentioned on your list!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 02:30 

I was just reading the new GGBP catalogue that came with my FOCS mag. It said that Katherine Bruce’s fill in about the CS in Guernsey will be published later this year which they had already announced but it also said that Helen Barber has a new fill in coming out later this year. The GGBP catalogue includes articles on some of the fill in authors and their fill ins.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 08:08 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I like Helen Barbour’s fill-ins but do hope the new one is actually about the Chalet School! I refused to buy the last one because it wasn’t

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 10:19 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Laura V wrote:
I like Helen Barbour’s fill-ins but do hope the new one is actually about the Chalet School! I refused to buy the last one because it wasn’t

Ditto.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 15:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It was a good read, but it didn't directly relate to the Chalet School, and £13 was a lot of money just for AN school story.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 21:51 

In the latest GGBP catalogue, Ann and Clarissa announce that New Beginnings for the CS is being republished. They also say that it is their one and only sequel, that they will never publish another sequel. Wibble. I’m a bit gutted. That means that More New Beginnings will never be written/published and Jack of the CS will never be published by GGBP at any rate. I guess I’ll have to file them in my mind with EBDs Two CS Girls in India - as books that will never see the light of day. I think it’s a shame though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 07:50 

That's interesting. There isn't really much scope for fill-ins in the Swiss years, and the earlier years have now been so well filled that we're getting books about terms which EBD had already written about, so I thought they might turn to sequels. I suppose it's difficult because we can't know what EBD intended and everyone's going to have their own ideas, so it's a different ball game.

Maybe it's time for spin-offs :D . "Jem of the San." I've always wanted to read a book about Margot and Stephen Venables, and there was talk years ago about a book covering the Lambert family's adventures in China.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 12:12 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

There’s still plenty of missing terms and opportunities for prequels! How about the Bettany’s first holiday in Tirol and the infamous Marilyn Evans term as failed head girl? There’s also still a big gap between Robin and Highland Twins. In terms of Swiss fill ins I think it’s more likely to be holiday stories - I’m still waiting to read about Margot’s trip to Sydney if anyone wants to write that one for me :lol: :P

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. South Shields to Switzerland
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 10:20