Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 27 Feb 2021, 13:05

Post subject: Series
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 01:49 
First Lesson
First Lesson

I’m just wondering if people on here are more into series than the general population. I am. I read The Babysitters Club and Nancy Drew. I was also an avid Enid Blyton reader particularly The Famous Five. I’m also into TV series e.g. Doctors, ER, House, Call the Midwife, The Tudors, Reign, Road to Avonlea, All Creatures Great and Small, Seventh Heaven, Outlander, Victoria, Poldark, Upstairs Downstairs, Downton Abbey. I’m also into film series e.g. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. I’m just wondering if The Chalet School is the only series some people here are into or would the vast majority of people on here be “Series People” in general?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Series
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 09:47 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I read all the Enid Blyton series, of which there are quite a few :D , and the Anne books, and Nancy Drew, and the EJO Abbey series and DFB Dimsie series. There aren't that many adult series around, though - I read the Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Morland books, but her publishers pulled the plug on them, and she did write another series but it was only 5 books.

I think most people like reading about characters they already "know", but the books do tend to go downhill after a while, because there's only so much you can do with the same characters. Even if it's a family saga and you go on to later generations, it's still the same setting.

I am addicted to TV soap operas :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 11:12 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Alison H wrote:
I read the Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Morland books, but her publishers pulled the plug on them, and she did write another series but it was only 5 books.

Oh goodness, I'd forgotten those! I got the first couple from one of those subscription book clubs where you had to buy a book every couple of months. When I gave up on that, I think I must have bought the later ones from actual bookshops. During a house move they got sent to the local library, and I was always a bit miffed that she wasn't allowed to bring them up to the present day, even though they were suffering from series fatigue :?

I am definitely a series person, my current obsession is Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series, and I've also now caught up with her Brighton series, her childrens' books and the two Shoreham books which I thought were stand-alone, but after reading the second I realise there's another series in the making... I have, however, managed to resist buying most of them and have my name on the list at the library for new releases :D

My GO/kidlit bookcase contains CS, La Rochelle, St Clare's, Malory Towers, Trebizon (but not the new ones), Lone Pine, Jillies, Green Knowe, Narnia, The Swish of the Curtain, all three Heidi books, and lots of other tiny two or three book groups. If I read a book and realise it's part of a set, I get a teeny bit obsessive about finding the rest... There's also a shelf in the other bookcase with just over half the Discworld series. I'm trying to get all the original Paul Kidby paperbacks but they're getting harder to find, I could probably finish the set if I would accept the weird newer covers.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 11:43 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Definitely series for me too. Most of my children's books are - EBD, EJO, DFB, Monica Edwards, Lorna Hill, Malcolm Saville, several others. I'm another Elly Griffiths fan, couldn't resist getting latest Ruth G book the day it came out last week. Won't say any more about it exept that it's as good as the rest. There are a few other crime series I read - Kate Ellis's Wesley Peterson books, Donna Leon, Rebeca Tope Cotswold and Lake District. I don't watch any TV soaps, but I am an Archers fan.

It is partly knowing the characters aseach book comes out, in some cases also the setting (Rebecca Tope Cotswold books because I'm from Gloucestershire and know most of the places). There's comfort in meeting same people again, and less effort in getting stuck into a book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 15:25 
Declaring it to have been the best term

I'm not sure that people here are likely to be "more" into series than the general population. As any publisher (and author knows!) series tend to be more popular than stand alone books and that's why it's not uncommon for a "new" author to be signed-up for a trilogy (because once you've managed to sell the first book to a reader, they are likely to buy the other two). It's also the reason why series continue long after they have jumped the shark (and why fills-in and continuations get written): the books are "presold" by being part of a series.

Most people here will read more than the average person so it is likely to appear that they read a lot of series fiction...but they will also read a lot more "stand alone" books. If you read 4 books a year (the most common reported number among repliers to reading surveys), then you could be reading 100% series fiction by reading four authors' once-a-year book. If you read 100 books, it's very unlikely that that will all be series fiction but equally, it is very likely to include more than 4 books that are series fiction. So does that make the heavy reader more or less likely to read series fiction than the "modal" reader?

If I were to make a hypothesis, I would say that a tendency to read series fiction depends on the "browedness" of your reading. Lowbrows read a lot of series fiction, middlebrows a mixture and highbrows very little. (Please note this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek and I don't attribute any moral value to the the "browedness" of someone's reading)

I read a lot of series fiction but I also read a lot of non-series fiction. I would say that I am reading more series fiction at the minute but that's partly because my access to library books - a major source of my reading - has been cut off (I'm reading less non-fiction for the same reason). As has already been said, there's a degree of comfort in familiarity whether that's with a specific work or whether that's with a specific set of characters.

Quoted somewhere (I think in one of the NCC Journals) was a junior member of one of the CS clubs who said that reading a book was like meeting new friends but reading a series was meeting old friends.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 16:06 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

I'm within three books of finishing Balzac's Comedie Humaine, which he certainly saw as a series - and I do get that frisson when a familiar figure from an earlier novel turns up.
I think it sort of sits alongside being a 'completist' reader - I've read all of Hardy's novels, for instance, though I only reread two or three. And there's no recurrent characters there unless you count the places. It's the same with Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Heyer; a sort of compulsion to read them all.
Too much time on my hands!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2021, 13:45 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I've read (and re-read) Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series (20 books) and Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I've also read most of the other series mentioned above.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2021, 14:24 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

I mostly read non-fiction. I was going to say that I'm not a series person but looking at my bookshelves that would be a lie - there's Swallows and Amazons, Narnia, The Dark is Rising, Harry potter, Malory Towers, Trebizon, both of Josephine Pullein-Thompson's Pony club series. Plus Saddle Club on Kindle.

But I'm not a completionist; I have a lot of discworld and chalet school but I don't want a complete set of either. In fact I got rid of some discworld books because I didn't really enjoy them. I've read most of the Morlands Saga which my mum owns. I suppose that since my appetite for fiction is limited I tend to stick to authors I know I like and that tends to mean serials. I also have multiple books by Solzhenitsyn and I borrow John LeCarre and Robert Harris from my parents.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 20:50 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Victoria said "I would say that I am reading more series fiction at the minute but that's partly because my access to library books - a major source of my reading - has been cut off (I'm reading less non-fiction for the same reason."

Are you in England? I ask because just before Christmas I discovered that our local library has an ebook section - you create an account with your library credentials and depending on what apps your library subscribes to you can borrow quite a range. Ours has Borrowbox for books and a different app for magazines. I have the apps on my tablet and find it invaluable. I understand most local libraries have something similar. Highly recommended!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 22:38 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Series fiction? Never, sir,not me
Those 500+ Doctor Who novels must have been planted in my loft by ne'er-do-wells.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 08:10 

Jane wrote:
Victoria said "I would say that I am reading more series fiction at the minute but that's partly because my access to library books - a major source of my reading - has been cut off (I'm reading less non-fiction for the same reason."

Are you in England? I ask because just before Christmas I discovered that our local library has an ebook section - you create an account with your library credentials and depending on what apps your library subscribes to you can borrow quite a range. Ours has Borrowbox for books and a different app for magazines. I have the apps on my tablet and find it invaluable. I understand most local libraries have something similar. Highly recommended!

I am aware of the ebook loans but firstly, I don't particularly like reading ebooks. I find hard on the eyes and very tiring. Secondly, I can get ebooks from Project Gutenberg if I want to read ebooks and this means I don't have to download yet another programme about which I can find no safety and security information except the usual general statements. (And I have no confidence in my local authority's computer expertise so that they are using something isn't a recommendation). Thirdly, having looked what was available, there's a lot of very popular stuff but not much I would normally consider reading so even if the other two reasons didn't apply, the ebook loans would be of little use!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 13:55 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

ivohenry wrote:
Definitely series for me too. Most of my children's books are - EBD, EJO, DFB, Monica Edwards, Lorna Hill, Malcolm Saville, several others. I'm another Elly Griffiths fan, couldn't resist getting latest Ruth G book the day it came out last week.

I'm still waiting for the library to contact me- last year I was fourteenth on the list, I'd hoped to be higher up this year because I reserved sooner! It can't be too long now...

And I was recently alerted to the fact that EG had joined a Malcolm Saville FB group under her real name, apparently she's a fan and that's partly why her Justice Jones series is set on Romney Marsh. When asked about a few things in those books - the head's carrying voice, the fact that most of the mistresses were former pupils - she did confess to having worked on editing the CS books at Harper Collins in the past and said that, while not deliberate, she must have absorbed some things!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 27 Feb 2021, 13:05