Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 08:39

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: April whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 17:46 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

We too have walk-in phlebotomy centres in our area and it has transformed the whole business of having blood tests which always used to be a nightmare of hunting for suitable veins.

The phlebotomists seem to find them effortlessly. The only time the question of going to the surgery for a test rather than the drop-in centre is the one morning a week there is a visiting phlebotomist there that one can see by appointment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 23:30 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

I would normally not have any difficulties finding veins but what I would always do is listen to the person themselves as they know which veins are good. I would also only ever try twice, once on each arm, because of the potential trauma that can be inflicted.

Was once called in to a blood transfusion place when I was OH nurse on site - the technician had obviously managed to nick an artery instead of a vein on one poor person and she had a swiftly increasing haematoma developing on her arm. Technician was pretty useless in doing anything to stop it.

Not surprised you were angry Jennie

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 13:56 
Having a say in the Sale theme

The point is that if the nurses at the oncology centre, The Woodlands, can't get blood out of my elbow veins, how can she expect to?

Those nurses take blood every day and really know what they're doing, so how can someone argue with them?

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 16:12 
Learning the difference - can and may

I'm lucky, my surgery's resident phlebotomist is an ex Intensive care nurse (qualifications not valid in the UK). She's brilliant. Also I don't need blood tests very often.

Sounds like this Maureen person should have known when to leave well alone.

My personal woe is that my phone has died. However it was nearly 4 years old so I can't complain too much. Also I get a cool new toy now - thankfully it's pay day.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 19:11 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

Jennie wrote:
The point is that if the nurses at the oncology centre, The Woodlands, can't get blood out of my elbow veins, how can she expect to?

Those nurses take blood every day and really know what they're doing, so how can someone argue with them?

Hugs, Jennie! It's frustrating when they don't seem to be able to get your blood. I have to warn any one who's not taken mine before, as my veins just seem to vanish. I refuse to let them take mine at my surgery; unless it's the visiting phlebotomist as once, they ended up digging around and causing me pain. Do you end up with bruises, too Jennie? I do, depending who does it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 14:46 

Yes, if people insist on trying my elbow veins they leave me bruised and very sore, and they are left without my blood.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2018, 22:49 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

And then there was the confident young lady who when told my veins tended to disappear when blood was wanted, said, "Don't worry, I'm really good at darts". Some twenty minutes later with a bloody and bruised arm, I said I hope that were other games she was good at!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2018, 08:54 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

My friend S has hard-to-find veins - she came back from one blood-taking appointment to say that the nurse had been 'broddling' in her now bruised and bandaged arm. This expressive piece of Yorkshire dialect promptly passed into my own vocabulary...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2018, 10:00 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I had one of the easiest blood test experiences last week. I had been very apprehensive as the one technician whom I knew could get my blood has left. When I made the appointment I did comment that I wasn't an easy bleeder and that C had always used a butterfly. Thankfully M, the new one on me, had taken note, and had a butterfly all ready. She found the vein straight away, and I didn't have any pain or bruising, just a tiny red mark that has now gone. This is a great relief to me, as I can now ask for M, knowing she has successfully 'done' me before.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 15:02 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

My burglar alarm decided to lose the plot at 5 o'clock this morning :banghead: . Not ideal at the best of times, even less so when you're jet-lagged. And I don't suppose the neighbours were very pleased either (the ones with the horrible barking dogs deserve to be disturbed, but the others don't!). After it'd gone off for the third time, I had to get the emergency engineer out, and he "helpfully" suggested that maybe it'd been set off by spiders running over the sensor. The image of spiders running around in the kitchen did not make me feel any better. Eventually, he decided that the sensor needed replacing (no sign of spiders), so I just hope that's sorted it.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 09:59 
Learning to play Lacrosse

Can anyone help me to explain to my sister that I cannot access her work emails from my PC? She's convinced that if I type her work email address into Google I can get into them.
"But why not? I've given you the password and everything".
well....yes.....but.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 11:16 

I think she's a lost cause. Sorry.

I got an NHS choose and book letter this morning. Asking me to rebook an appointment which I have already attended :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 17:03 

exile wrote:

I got an NHS choose and book letter this morning. Asking me to rebook an appointment which I have already attended :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:roll: no doubt they'll keep nagging you about it.

As for my sister I've suspected she's a lost cause for many a long year now. When it comes to technology at least.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 17:32 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

As far as email goes, if I gave someone the site url and my work username and my password they would be able to get in via google as there's a web option, but I guess that's not true for you!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2018, 18:13 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

With my HR (retired) hat on, giving access to a work e-mail account to a non-employee (and even, possibly, other employees) would definitely be a disciplinary offence!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 16:02 

RubyGates wrote:
exile wrote:

:roll: no doubt they'll keep nagging you about it.

As for my sister I've suspected she's a lost cause for many a long year now. When it comes to technology at least.

I phoned them up and explained that the appointment hadn't been cancelled so hopefully that's the end of it. The whole thing is driving me nuts; it's bad enough that my other shoulder has fallen apart but getting it sorted out is going wrong at every turn. Well nearly every turn, my consultant appointment actually went pretty well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 11:18 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

lizco wrote:
With my HR (retired) hat on, giving access to a work e-mail account to a non-employee (and even, possibly, other employees) would definitely be a disciplinary offence!

In our office we have an office email address plus individual ones. I know my colleague's password, because I have to use it to access other parts of the intranet system. But I would never attempt to access her individual email account any more than she would mine.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 23:05 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

The people with the vein troubles might appreciate the solidarity on this article:

https://themighty.com/2018/03/doctor-ca ... m=Facebook

At least you know you're not alone, but how frustrating that health professionals won't listen to the people who know what their bodies can and can't do.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: October whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018, 08:44 

Every time I am actually in a good mood, it turns out I've put weight on despite a week of trying hard, and then I feel rotten again. What have I done wrong this time? OK, one gingerbread latte, hands up, but I had it with skimmed milk. I cannot shift this holiday weight, and it's not because I'm not trying. Oh, to be able to eat a zillion cream cakes and fancy bread twists and never put weight on, like Mary-Lou et al!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: October whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018, 10:08 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Hugs - I'm trying to get going on the 5 & 2 again, which worked for me lat time - but I got out of the way of it 3 years ago when my mother was needing daily hospital visits 30-odd miles away, and the 2 stone I'd lost has gone back on ... and possibly more; I haven't dared look! I managed a week and a half at the beginning of this month, but keep forgetting and having breakfast!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 08:39