Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 22:00

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pedantry is alive and kicking on this board
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 22:02 
Discovering that JMB lives next door

cestina wrote:
Grr only Day Two (or is it One, am totally confused by the time difference and also the fact that some things started before the Official Opening) of the Winter Olympics and I am ready to throw something at the TV if I hear much more of the phrase "He/she has created history...."

ETA And don't the commentators just witter! Infuriating. Oh for some informed commentary....

Just watch with the sound turned off - works for me (the westie doesn't like sport on too loud.....!)!!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 12:29 
Lamenting the amount of work

In fairness to the Olympics commentators, some are much better than others - I must have hit a particularly bad one on the first day.

Now my gripe is the pronunciation of the non-English names...in particular that of Michal Krčmář, the biathlon athlete from the Czech Republic who the commentator persisted in calling Kremar as if the č did not exist. Or perhaps Krčmář himself has styled himself Kremar in self-defense! (For those interested the closest I can get without phonetics is Krch (as in stich)marsh...

And now for something completely different - some measurements of a shelf unit just found on ebay:
170cm Tall
Bottom shelves 43 cm wide
43cm interval radius
Top shelves 11.5 " deep/wide
10" internal Radius

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 13:02 

cestina wrote:
And now for something completely different - some measurements of a shelf unit just found on ebay:
170cm Tall
43cm interval radius
10" internal Radius
I think my brain's just come out of a different structure than it went into, so to speak!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 13:10 

Noreen wrote:
cestina wrote:
170cm Tall
43cm interval radius
10" internal Radius
I think my brain's just come out of a different structure than it went into, so to speak!

Although they do still sell wood strips in the CR in metre lengths by inch depth/width! Germany too maybe. :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 05:06 

The odd thing about growing up in Britain is that it is a bit like that ebay ad! My brain sort-of-ish works in both measurement systems...

New gripe for the day:
We were going through a state government style guide (for content aimed at the public), and there was a section titled "Write simple and clear". I assumed this was a typo and pointed it out, only to be told that "We’re trying to avoid adverbs and cut down syllables in words (clearly vs clear) to be more accessible". I understand that the average reading age of the Australian public is grade 5, but surely most people & grade-5-ers have encountered adverbs? Does "accessible" have to equal "grammatically incorrect"? Or am I just a pedant who should accept the evolution of the English language?

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 15:08 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

cestina wrote:
Noreen wrote:
cestina wrote:
170cm Tall
43cm interval radius
10" internal Radius

Although they do still sell wood strips in the CR in metre lengths by inch depth/width! Germany too maybe. :shock:

Yes, I think that small things such as nails and screws have fractions of inches in Germany but it's a long time since I bought any! Television screens were sized in inches. Recently I measured my old one (kapputt) in inches so that I would know what size to look for when I arrived at the shop. Surprise, surprise - they are now measured in cms! Fortunately I was able to recalculate.

Quote:
New gripe for the day:
We were going through a state government style guide (for content aimed at the public), and there was a section titled "Write simple and clear". I assumed this was a typo and pointed it out, only to be told that "We’re trying to avoid adverbs and cut down syllables in words (clearly vs clear) to be more accessible". I understand that the average reading age of the Australian public is grade 5, but surely most people & grade-5-ers have encountered adverbs? Does "accessible" have to equal "grammatically incorrect"? Or am I just a pedant who should accept the evolution of the English language?

No, you're not! :banghead:

I see that you can buy cod loins in England. Since when did fish have loins? :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 15:15 

mrs helston wrote:

New gripe for the day:

I read this in the early hours of the morning and was so distressed by it that I almost could not get back to sleep.

I was a Citizens Advice Bureau manager at the time that the Plain English Campaign to make government and other literature more accessible got off the ground in the late 1970s. They achieved miracles without resorting to poor grammar and made our lives as advisers on welfare benefits and consumer law very much easier.

No reason why the same should not apply in Australia!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 22:33 
...and Results
...and Results

thefrau46 wrote:

Yes, I think that small things such as nails and screws have fractions of inches in Germany but it's a long time since I bought any! Television screens were sized in inches. Recently I measured my old one (kapputt) in inches so that I would know what size to look for when I arrived at the shop. Surprise, surprise - they are now measured in cms! Fortunately I was able to recalculate.

Strangely, bicycle wheels are also measured in inches in Germany.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 03:44 

Thank you all, glad my distress wasn't unreasonable, though I'm sorry for disturbing your sleep Cestina! I did spend my last work training session unable to concentrate as a colleague had written "process's" instead of "processes".

cestina wrote:
I was a Citizens Advice Bureau manager at the time that the Plain English Campaign to make government and other literature more accessible got off the ground in the late 1970s. They achieved miracles without resorting to poor grammar and made our lives as advisers on welfare benefits and consumer law very much easier.

No reason why the same should not apply in Australia!

Thank you for this- I didn't know it existed, and it's a fascinating and extremely sensible initiative. I've shared it with the Content lead on my project, so maybe they'll take some of the ideas onboard :) (he is now addicted to the gobbledy-gook generator...)

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 12:36 
Declaring the Chalet School to be best
Declaring the Chalet School to be best

Just seen an ad for a clinic with discount for OAPs on Monday's and Friday's!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 16:46 

Commentator on an olympic event this afternoon: "For many Chinese athletes, silver is second place". Duh!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 16:51 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Yes, I heard that too ... I know what he was trying to convey - and the Chinese athlete was evidently incredibly disappointed. What he should have said is something along the lines of 'Second place is a loss; only coming first is worth doing as far as he's concerned.'

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 11:31 

I'm currently reading Frances Brody's Death in the Stars: her heroine Kate Shackleton has gone to watch an eclipse, and is feeling the cold. She says, among other things "My cloche [hat] didn't prevent my ears from freezing sufficiently to drop off".

OK, I know what she means, especially as she's previously mentioned her feet turning to blocks of ice, which is the sort of thing people do say, but...!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 14:23 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Quote:
My cloche [hat] didn't prevent my ears from freezing sufficiently to drop off".

So her ears did fall off, then? :?

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 14:54 

Exactly! Doesn't even bother to retrieve them... :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 17:22 

A question on a page of reviews about some wok noodles "Is this the glutton free version?" Oh would that such a thing existed!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 12:07 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Radio 4 listeners list the words/phrases that annoy them the most. Many of mine are there too including "holibobs" and "nom nom"!

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio4/status/973248939737735171

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 12:25 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

lizco wrote:
Radio 4 listeners list the words/phrases that annoy them the most. Many of mine are there too including "holibobs" and "nom nom"!

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio4/status/973248939737735171

"Reaching out" - gah! When did that start? "Thank you for reaching out to us." I am not "reaching out": I am complaining!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 13:51 

Goodness me! What a list....some of them I hate but others I really don't mind at all.

For example, being passionate about something seems to me to be a perfectly legitimate statement. If it's dolls houses, ospreys and fungi anyway :D

One phrase I didn't see, which I detest, is "she has issues...". Grr.

And if we are on less and fewer what about may and might? I had to stop reading the Kate Shackleton books by Frances Brody, even though I was quite enjoying them, since she seems to completely ignore the existence of "might". And I cringed every time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 14:30 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I have been shuddering today at the number of times that Sir Ken Dodd's widow has been called 'Lady Anne' ... By all means mention the fact that he only married her on Friday when he (presumably) knew he was dying; make whatever point you like about the tax implications of that ... but she is Lady Dodd - unless she is the daughter of an earl and we haven't been told!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 22:00