Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:22

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Thread of Random Chatter
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 01:08 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Grown-up? Seeing other opinions but your own? Taking responsibility?

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 09:04 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

How I wish everyone would see other opinions but their own!! (Sorry, some comments on social media have just annoyed me :banghead: .)

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 23:15 

I can see other opinions but still remain convinced I am the only person in the world with the "true" or "correct"opinion!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 12:41 
Lost!
Lost!

Me too. I have been known to tell people that I completely get the point they are trying to make, I just disagree with them entirely.

On another note, I will be going back to work on Tuesday, six and a half weeks after having my shoulder operation. I have used this time to read approximately 25 books (it's only just occurred to me to count them so I may have inadvertently missed/included one or two).

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 12:48 
Presenting your school report

exile wrote:
Me too. I have been known to tell people that I completely get the point they are trying to make, I just disagree with them entirely.

That seems to me to be perfectly legitimate. You have listened to what they are saying, weighed it up, and found it to be wanting, and have said so. The people causing the trouble in the world are those who will not listen to anyone else's view, let alone consider that they might have a legitimate point.....

On another note, I will be going back to work on Tuesday, six and a half weeks after having my shoulder operation. I have used this time to read approximately 25 books (it's only just occurred to me to count them so I may have inadvertently missed/included one or two).[/quote]

I hope the operation has done what you hoped Exile, and that the return to work goes smoothly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 13:37 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Hope it goes well for you going back to work, Exile!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 21:30 
Lost!
Lost!

Thanks guys. It wasn't too bad, just very tiring

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 21:54 

Glad it was OK.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 22:14 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

That's good to hear! I hope your energy levels pick up!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 00:04 
Buying your school uniform

Slightly random post, however I’m in Prague for the weekend with my friends. Does anyone have any suggestions for “must do/see” things/places?
It would be much appreciated.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 09:38 

The castle. And the clock in Wenceslas Square. And the Charles Bridge - one of my favourite places in Europe! Have a lovely weekend.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 13:41 

Any of the many tourist outlets will have a booklet with walks through Prague - there is little in the old city that is not worth looking at.

Make your way up to the castle and then walk down through one of the winding streets back to the Charles Bridge.

If you walk through from the bottom of Wenceslas Square to the Old Town Square (that's where the clock is by the way, it's not on Wenceslas Square) you should pass a small street market between the two (just follow the tourist stream!) where the prices of souvenirs are not too bad.

The old Jewish cemetery is fascinating and if you get a chance to visit one of the puppet shows at the National Marionette Theatre, do so. But make sure it's that theatre, there are other inferior ones.

Otherwise, avoid eating in any of the main tourist places, ie on the Old Town Square within sight of the clock. Just a few paces off the beaten track will bring you to cheaper eating places.

Watch your bags and wallets like hawks. I have foiled several pickpocketing attempts in Prague....

Hezky vikend! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 20:05 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

If you haven’t looked at the wadiki site then find it on Facebook or google. Photos from Pertisau photographer are wonderful.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 22:55 

NanaG wrote:
If you haven’t looked at the wadiki site then find it on Facebook or google. Photos from Pertisau photographer are wonderful.

Thanks for the link Nana - the photos are indeed stunning....

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 22:54 
Buying your school uniform

Thanks for the tips Cestina and Alison. We had a fabulous time and can’t wait to go back.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 15:18 
Arguing with your guardian

cestina wrote:
Any of the many tourist outlets will have a booklet with walks through Prague - there is little in the old city that is not worth looking at.

Make your way up to the castle and then walk down through one of the winding streets back to the Charles Bridge.

If you walk through from the bottom of Wenceslas Square to the Old Town Square (that's where the clock is by the way, it's not on Wenceslas Square) you should pass a small street market between the two (just follow the tourist stream!) where the prices of souvenirs are not too bad.

The old Jewish cemetery is fascinating and if you get a chance to visit one of the puppet shows at the National Marionette Theatre, do so. But make sure it's that theatre, there are other inferior ones.

Otherwise, avoid eating in any of the main tourist places, ie on the Old Town Square within sight of the clock. Just a few paces off the beaten track will bring you to cheaper eating places.

Watch your bags and wallets like hawks. I have foiled several pickpocketing attempts in Prague....

You've had several pickpocketing attacks? Is it that bad? I was in Prague some 15 years ago with a group and none of us had any issues, although we were warned to pay attention to pickpocketers so I'm sure there were some.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 17:29 

DomenicKi wrote:
cestina wrote:

You've had several pickpocketing attacks? Is it that bad? I was in Prague some 15 years ago with a group and none of us had any issues, although we were warned to pay attention to pickpocketers so I'm sure there were some.

The time there were several attempts was during the Christmas markets a few years ago. Huge crowds so a field day for pickpockets.

I have also had a purse removed from my shoulder bag whilst standing in a self-service health food bar in České Budějovice. A friend and I chased after the thief and cornered her in a narrow passageway. We got my purse back - I think the shock of being addressed in fluent and angry Czech by what were clearly foreigners shook her rigid....

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 13:55 
Hot milk and an extra blanket
Hot milk and an extra blanket

I could almost write a travel guide, based on the places where I've had my pocket pinched or purse stolen! :lol:

These include: Madrid (several times), Seville, Riga and Philadelphia.

Prague is one of the cities I have visited but not had any problem with thieves.

On a more positive note, whilst visiting friends in Bilbao, I once lost my purse near the Guggenheim Museum, but didn't realise until I got back to where I was staying. The purse did not contain my contact details in Madrid or Bilbao, but it did have the contact info for a friend in San Sebastian. Shortly after we got back to the flat, my friend in San Sebastian rang to say that someone had been in touch from the Guggenheim. A lady had found the purse on the concourse and handed it in, so I was able to go back to the museum and get it.

I've no idea who the lady was, as she didn't leave any contact details, but I'm very grateful that the vast majority of people everywhere are honest.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 14:30 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I am happy never to have had my pocket picked... or, if it has happened, they've never got anything I've missed :lol: (probably a year-old train ticket and a half used tissue...). Having said that, working in phone insurance did make me a tad paranoid about my phone being nicked!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 18:44 

The first time I was in Italy I noticed that a man in our group had his wallet hanging out of his back pocket. He was so happy that I warned him. We were on a walking tour of Rome.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:22