Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 01:37

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: All-new happiness thread
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 12:43 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

emma t wrote:
Had a lovely day with my friends today. We were going to walk to The Bronte Falls, but turned back due to the weather being awful. Ate a picnic in the car, then went into Haworth. Had a cream tea, wandered about and went to the park as we had my friend's two year old with us. In the afternoon, Sarah and I went to the food festival in Huddersfield. A good day :)

Glad you enjoyed Haworth, Emma. I used to go there regularly when I was younger and lived in the area. Did you go on the railway?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 14:55 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

cal562301 wrote:
emma t wrote:
Had a lovely day with my friends today. We were going to walk to The Bronte Falls, but turned back due to the weather being awful. Ate a picnic in the car, then went into Haworth. Had a cream tea, wandered about and went to the park as we had my friend's two year old with us. In the afternoon, Sarah and I went to the food festival in Huddersfield. A good day :)

Glad you enjoyed Haworth, Emma. I used to go there regularly when I was younger and lived in the area. Did you go on the railway?

I love Haworth been many a time. No we didn't do the railway but I'm sure I have when I was younger.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 15:46 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

We are renting a cottage near Haworth in September partly so that I can go to Yarndale and so thatmy partner can revisit some of the SHBS we found in the surrounding areas last year. I must resist the bookshops though I think I will succumb to TP Books, it would be rude not to when in the area after all.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 15:03 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

At last I can post again.

Andrew bought and installed a spiffy new keyboard for playing on-line games. It is lit up from below in several colours and looks quite attractive.

The damned thing wouldn't let me post on anything, but I have discovered the secret, so I can now spend some time in my favourite occupation.

Grr! Why do people invent all these new things? So we spend out money on them, that's why.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 15:50 
Presenting your school report

The keyboard on my new computer has a button of unknown function just where I am used to the Ctrl key being. I'm almost used to it now ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 08:38 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Morning all, I had a wonderful 10 days in Shropshire, did lots of reading about royalty and did a little writing, had some lovely people on the course who looked after me (I'm on crutches).

I came into work this morning to find "my" office rearranged so I have more space.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 12:17 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

I'm glad you had a good time, Liz; you deserve some fun!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 12:42 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Thank you, Abbey.

It's even better now because it's lunchtime and the radio's been switched off so there's lovely silence. Wish they'd have Radio 2 on instead of Heart which has been playing the same songs for months (or so it seems).

ETA Well there WAS a lovely silence. Heart Radio's gone back on at full blast! :banghead:

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 13:01 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Ugh! I hate having other people's music inflicted on me! The restaurant at the farm shop near my sister's house actually agreed to switch their music off while we were there - after I had explained how people with various disabilities actually find it incredibly hard to cope with. It really annoys me in doctors' waiting rooms; my surgery refused to switch it off; they offered me a little room to sit in, but you could still hear it in there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 13:53 

I hate 'other people's music' too, Abbey, and sympathise entirely. But from the other side of the desk, as it were, sometimes it's necessary to have something going on, or people in the waiting room can hear consultations or phone calls taking place in the doctors' or nurses' rooms. When I first started working at the local surgery, they played CDs of 'light classical'/easy listening - which was a bit muzak-y, but not too grim - unless the pan-pipes came on a third time in a long day! - but a new practice manager got a PR licence and now they have Ocean FM going the whole time ... glad I don't work there any more!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 14:57 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

abbeybufo wrote:
I hate 'other people's music' too, Abbey, and sympathise entirely. But from the other side of the desk, as it were, sometimes it's necessary to have something going on, or people in the waiting room can hear consultations or phone calls taking place in the doctors' or nurses' rooms. When I first started working at the local surgery, they played CDs of 'light classical'/easy listening - which was a bit muzak-y, but not too grim - unless the pan-pipes came on a third time in a long day! - but a new practice manager got a PR licence and now they have Ocean FM going the whole time ... glad I don't work there any more!!

When I was manager of a CAB we found it was possible to hear what was being said in one of the interview rooms from the waiting room.

I did not feel that playing music was an option so we invested in some "white noise" equipment. It was fairly unsophisticated back then, but nobody ever complained about it, and it solved the problem.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 17:44 

I wish that had been suggested at the surgery! I'm sure we'd have had far fewer complaints - there's always someone who doesn't like any music played - and I reckon the local radio station, with its general jokiness, is most inappropriate ... but it wasn't up to me...

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 20:17 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

It's not so much the not liking it; that's merely a matter of taste. It's the horrible difficulty in simply coping with it, emotionally and physically. I just haven't enough energy for my brain to be able to block sounds out, and something continuous like that in the background makes it incredibly difficult to concentrate on anything else. It's exhausting and can be really debilitating. And people with many disabilities have similar problems - people on the autistic spectrum, for example, often have problems dealing with sensory overload. People with hearing problems often find it really hard. And I'm sure there are many other issues that make background music a serious problem. And no one likes having to constantly ask for it to be switched off and to explain why (and I personally just don't have the energy to be always doing that), so people like me are simply excluded from many shops, restaurants etc.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 20:39 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Music I can manage, I barely notice it unless it's something I particularly like - kids with their parents' tablet playing noisy video games is another story! Today I was just about frazzled by the time I got off the train because of a kid's game going "beep beep beep meow meow meow" for forty solid minutes. The kid was also going "meow meow meow" half the time. Lovely and quiet when I finally got off!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 21:40 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Dogs barking. Lawnmowers! Somewhere (Germany, I think) has laws about using lawnmowers at weekends! I know lawns have to be mowed some time, but gah!! And hedge-trimmers are even worse. But I think dogs are the most annoying.

When The Year 1000 was published, in the year 2000, one of the points the authors made was how much louder the world had got over the last few centuries :roll:. Although I suppose people in the year 1000 still had to cope with other people's horrible noisy dogs!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 21:57 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

It is Switzerland with laws about noise, including when you can cut the grass. The canton from which my sister-in-law came also had laws about not hanging out the washing on a Sunday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 22:15 
Playing end of term games
Playing end of term games

In this country I came across a local rule about hanging out the washing when I stayed with a friend who lived on the Dulwich Estate: No washing clothing or similar articles shall be hung out or exposed on any enfranchised property so as to be visible at ground level beyond its boundaries save only that the rear garden (if any) may be used for such purposes between the hours of 7.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. Mondays to Fridays and 7.00 to 12.00 noon on Saturdays (Good Friday, Christmas Day and other public holidays excepted). Don't think they mind about lawn-mowers, though...

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 22:20 

I don't get that :lol: :lol: . Lawnmowers are loud and annoying. Other people's clothes are ... well, quiet in the sense that they don't make a noise.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 22:35 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Alison H wrote:
I don't get that :lol: :lol: . Lawnmowers are loud and annoying. Other people's clothes are ... well, quiet in the sense that they don't make a noise.

No but they are evidence that you have been working on s Sunday which is a day of rest! Here in Germany Sunday is still more or less what Margia Stevens would call gentle. And yes, we too have laws about loud noise such as lawn mowing, drilling, using a chainsaw on Sundays and after 8 pm on other days. (I think there may be local variations in the exact time.) The hours between 1 and 3 pm are also "quiet" time. It's true that nowadays not everyone obeys these laws. However I did overhear my neighbour politely reminding the gardeners cutting trees near our gardens that it was lunchtime!
The shops are shut on Sundays -with exceptions for things needed for "daily use" and in tourist areas which they may open but most don't. So different from the UK.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 22:58 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Alison H wrote:

I suppose clothes hanging out could be said to cause a 'visual disturbance' which might be loosely classified as a form of noise! As it happens, the condo building I live in here has a rule stating that owners with balconies may not hang clothing out to dry on them -we can't even shake out mops, dusters, rugs etc!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 01:37