Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 08:38

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 15:29 
Giving a Junior an order mark

cestina wrote:
I am now reading the fourth in the Oxford Medieval Mysteries series by Ann Swinfen, which I also enjoy. A nice mix of family life, history, and mild detective work. On Kindle Unlimited and also some at 99pence I think.
Somebody kindly gave a copy of the first one 'The Bookseller's Tale' to the Book Exchange at my GP's surgery, so I'm ambling my way through it - a very pleasant read that reminds me more than a little of Ellis Peters' Cadfael books, thought I'd say slightly less compelling. At a few chapters in, I'm still more interested in Nicholas's family (children Alysoun and Rafe and their new puppy, and his sister Margaret who looks after them all) than the main plot!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 18:48 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Just finished Bracken by Elizabeth Webster, such a lovely book, have read it many times and always feel myself welling up at the end.

Story of a Romany boy who befriends a dying man - but it is not a sad book, a lovely gentle read

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 20:06 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Noreen wrote:
cestina wrote:
I am now reading the fourth in the Oxford Medieval Mysteries series by Ann Swinfen, which I also enjoy. A nice mix of family life, history, and mild detective work. On Kindle Unlimited and also some at 99pence I think.
Somebody kindly gave a copy of the first one 'The Bookseller's Tale' to the Book Exchange at my GP's surgery, so I'm ambling my way through it - a very pleasant read that reminds me more than a little of Ellis Peters' Cadfael books, thought I'd say slightly less compelling. At a few chapters in, I'm still more interested in Nicholas's family (children Alysoun and Rafe and their new puppy, and his sister Margaret who looks after them all) than the main plot!

Yes I stayed more interested in the background throughout the series.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 11:07 
Declaring it to have been the best term

Just finishing a reread of the Daisy Dalrymple books by Carola Dunn. There is a new one out, but it's far too expensive for me to contemplate buying on the Kindle yet!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 19:50 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I've never really got into the Daisy books, but am currently rereading Anna and Her Daughters for the umpteenth time. DES is a great comfort read.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 21:09 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Totally agree about DES (although I've read all the Daisy books too). I had the joy the other day of finding one that was new to me: The Tall Stranger. I might have to read it again when it comes back from my sister!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 08:58 
Learning all about Matey!

Just finished No Time To Cry by James Oswald. It is a crime thriller with a hint of the supernatural. I really enjoyed it and was very surprised to find a chalet school reference.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 14:51 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

cestina wrote:
Noreen wrote:
cestina wrote:

Yes I stayed more interested in the background throughout the series.

I am just reaching the end of Ann Swinfen's other series about Dr Alvarez which after a slow start I have absolutely loved and galloped through.

I have just been to her website to check whether there are any other books on the way to find to my great shock that she died suddenly on the 4th of August this year.

I feel both deeply saddened and strangely bereft.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 15:20 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Oh, that's sad. She's on my To Read One of These Days list. I sat next to her once in a lecture though I can't remember when. Will have been an RNA thing. Must now get on and read her books after all.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 16:15 

That is sad - I was thinking about her on and off during the AP Society Conference weekend in Oxford, especially as we were at Merton, which is much mentioned in The Bookseller's Tale.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 16:18 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I had no idea she was 80 already....

ETA She died two days after writing this on her blog in answer to a question about when the next Nicholas tale would appear:

"At the moment I’m editing the audio files for The Stonemason’s Tale, which is quite time-consuming. Once that is done, I’ll make a start on the next Oxford book. Not too long to wait, I hope!"

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2018, 22:18 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

Have just finished reading Keep The Home Fires Burning, by Simon Block, the writer behind the TV series Home Fires - I know I"m not the only one on here to lament the demise of the series!! I found it a quick but intriguing read, featuring the same characters as the series, but with a few extras, especially as I could picture the actors playing the roles of the main characters every time I read anything about them. Could also see where some incidents differed from the way they appeared on screen, though. And I'm pretty sure some of the incidents in the later part of the e-book hadn't appeared in the TV series, though am open to correction on that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2018, 22:43 
Deciding to learn Russian

JUst bought the new Maisie Dobbs book pb today - not yet started it, need to have plenty of time asI find once started I can't put her down!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2018, 23:29 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I watched the first 3 episodes of "Vanity Fair" and then left for my autumn trip to Bavaria, so I'm now re-reading the book. This will probably end up being a mistake as when I get back to the UK and watch the final episodes I'll be nitpicking.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 07:34 

Love this series. I have seen the first five and will catch up when we get back. Think the lead actress is amazing.

Have just finished Amberwell by D E Stevenson which I really enjoyed. I wish her other books weren't so expensive on Kindle. Also read Philip Pullman's Book of Dust. He is such a good writer and I was pleased to see it's the first in a series.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 20:26 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Am reading Peril in Paris by Katherine Woodfine and was interested to see a mention of the Crown Prince of Belsornia!

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 20:33 

Jools wrote:

Have just finished Amberwell by D E Stevenson which I really enjoyed. I wish her other books weren't so expensive on Kindle.

Amberwell is one of my favourites, also the sequel, Summerhills. And it's nice to see a brief appearance of Roger's children in Still glides the stream, another I like very much. I do like the way her characters from one book pop up in another - Mabel Esther Allan does this a lot also.

Last edited by ivohenry on 28 Nov 2018, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 16:23 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I have just finished Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson which came up on BookBub. 99pence on Amazon.

I enjoyed it very much, even more so because I have both seen the Tollund Man in person and own a copy of the book that it partly revolves around. A nice gentle read.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018, 07:05 

Just finished reading The Dressmaker of Dachu by Mary Chamberlain and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I thoroughly enjoyed both books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 23:45 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Catherine wrote:
Am reading Peril in Paris by Katherine Woodfine and was interested to see a mention of the Crown Prince of Belsornia!

And the book starts with a Ruritanian princess who likes to read school stories, has to avoid kidnapping by members of her family who want to use her and her brother (the heir to the throne) to force her grandfather (the current King) to do what they want - including possibly abdicate. They escape by walking over the mountains to Switzerland...

The author's note says "The country of Arnovia, and the Arnovian Royal family are of course, completely imaginary. However the adventures of Princess Anna and Crown Prince Alex were inspired by a grand tradition of stories set in fictional European countries - from The Prisoner of Zenda to The Princess of The Chalet School, and many more

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 08:38