Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:56

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving all the fic off the CBB
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 21:41 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

How does your fic get moved over there? I have just had alook at the sdl and it does look a bit more complicated than it does here (unless I am being a bit thick of course :oops:) I suppose it will get some getting used to...

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 22:08 
Asked to help with the play

Its actually not as difficult as the threads can be emma, PM me if you are having any difficulties, I have so much to transfer I'm getting quite used to the controls and possibilities now !

Its looking pretty good already over there - once everyone has finished backing up it should show updates well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 22:21 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It's fairly easy once you get used to it :D . For the technologically challenged (like me!), I'd recommend starting with a mini-drabble if you've got one and then moving on to the longer stuff once you've got the hang of it.

I hadn't looked at some of this old stuff for about 5 years: it's quite weird reading through it again :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Alison H on 02 Jun 2011, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 22:27 

Thanks guys! Alison, I'm just used to the simpler things I guess, I'm not technically minded either!Lol

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 23:03 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

I can now reach the SDL too, thank you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2011, 12:08 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Have to say, posting fic in the SDL is very easy and quick. Kudos for choosing good software. I have got a question though, regarding older fic written by authors who've subsequently left the CBB. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what, if anything, is going to be done with it? Is it going to get onto the SDL at some point?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 01:14 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Liss said earlier on in the thread, or possibly in another thread, that all archives would stay on CBB. I'm assuming that 99% of currently active drabbles are/have been posted by currently posting members (I'm loath to say people who've left or inactive as a huge number of members still read but don't post fiction or contribute). Drabbles posted by less active/infrequent visitors will have been archived (|Those are listed in the Drabble-orum thread in Ste Therese) and will still be accessible so won't need adding to the SDL. At least that was my take on it.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 00:01 
The Squeen
The Squeen

Quite right.

It would be great if authors could re-post already archived fic onto the SDL, just because it makes it so much easier for people to access it. But the archives themselves won't be touched; nothing there will be lost.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 01:26 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Thanks both for the answer.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 09:44 

Again, I'm sure this is probably something not worth the time and hassle, but if it is a simple option anywhere in the set up, could the reviews go from oldest to newest rather than vice versa? I keep getting confused, then realizing someone is talking about a review from lower down the page. It doesn't matter hugely, but thought it was worth asking. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 17:28 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

So what we have to do is sign up for another site, which means more passwords for me to remember and for me to bookmark.

the only reason I found it was because I was looking for a fan fict, but like someone else I stuck around because I loved chatting to the people on here.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 18:04 
Exams...
Exams...

Can anyone give me a wee bit of advice, please? I'm trying to upload my Jessica drabbles onto the SDL but when I copy and paste into the SDL everything comes out in double line spacing, even though the original word version is single line spaced (and even when I use the "paste from word" tool). I know it's probably something really simple that I'm missing or doing wrong so if anyone can tell me how to fix this without me having to go through the whole drabble and remove all the extra lines, I'd be extremely grateful! Thank you :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 19:01 

If you type a couple of letters into the "story text" box, then delete them, then copy and paste your text from Word, it seems to sort it out. No idea why, but it works for me!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 19:21 

moiser30 wrote:
So what we have to do is sign up for another site, which means more passwords for me to remember and for me to bookmark.

the only reason I found it was because I was looking for a fan fict, but like someone else I stuck around because I loved chatting to the people on here.

So far I have found it seems to allow you to leave yourself logged in, or use a cookie or something, so I have been able to move between the two very easily. I have barely had to put my password in at all, and I have been checking it on several different devices for a few days.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 20:14 
Presenting your school report

Yes I haven't had to put a password in since the first time I signed up for the SDL....

I had to do Ctrl V to paste from a Word document - it wouldn't accept the normal "paste"

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 20:19 
The Squeen
The Squeen

Beecharmer wrote:
Again, I'm sure this is probably something not worth the time and hassle, but if it is a simple option anywhere in the set up, could the reviews go from oldest to newest rather than vice versa? I keep getting confused, then realizing someone is talking about a review from lower down the page. It doesn't matter hugely, but thought it was worth asking. :D

No.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 21:12 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Alison H wrote:
If you type a couple of letters into the "story text" box, then delete them, then copy and paste your text from Word, it seems to sort it out. No idea why, but it works for me!

That one doesn't seem to work for me... I have to go through and delete all the extra line spaces!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 21:14 

Abi wrote:
Alison H wrote:

That one doesn't seem to work for me... I have to go through and delete all the extra line spaces!

No it doesn't work for me either - the only way I can post is by turning off 'Mini MCE' in my preferences. Otherwise it doens't seem to recognise that there is any text in the text box at all ... which means I can't get any formatting :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 21:17 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

What happens to all the non-archived complete stories currently on the board? There seem to be an awful lot that have been finished a while ago but not yet archived, particularly in St Therese, some of which are parts of ongoing stories which stopped at 25 pages. If the mods usually move completed stuff to the archive, can it be done for these so that they aren't lost? Some of the authors may only be around infrequently, or not have time to move them and it would be sad if they were lost.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 22:32 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

We are working on archiving and indexing those that were completed before the cut-off date, but it will be a while. It's taken 19 hours to get old stories from Ste. Therese/St. Agnes with authors A - Finn into the Index Drabble-orum, though part of that was due to hitting the character limit in index sections. Addition of lime green Sally Denny Library links is also only as far as Finn, so virtuous SDL posters who don't see any in their part of the index should remember that "Patience is a virtue."

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:56