Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 10 Aug 2022, 03:18

Post subject: Does the CBB need SSL?
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2021, 13:15 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

This just occured to me, because Chrome (currently on my Android tablet), points out to me that it's not a secure site. There's maybe not any big security risk here, because you're not handling payments or anything. But nowadays, I think even many forums etc, that don't use payments, have SSL. Though it did take a long time for the main forum I use (very large and owned by a company that run adverts), to get it. I wonder if they had some kind of technical issues in implementing it, some users seemed frustrated by how long it took. I believe it's easy to get cheap SSL certificates nowadays. :)

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Does the CBB need SSL?
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2021, 14:24 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

I suspect it's one of the things Liss will be addressing when she updates the site, which she is aware is overdue.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 12:01 
An extra hour in bed in the morning
An extra hour in bed in the morning

As mentioned, this site doesn't collect much information nor is it involved with payments of any kind so SSL isn't something strongly needed. Probably the riskiest thing would be if people are using non-unique passwords as password information might (and I stress might) be accessible to a hacker attack.

While SSL is nice to have, I don't see any real urgency for it in this case - and I'm usually quite security-conscious. Mind you, I lie when signing-up to sites so the only "true" information held for me tends to be my email address....

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 14:45 
Attending a prees' meeting

What is SSL when it's at home?

And while I am asking about IT jargon what is a "legacy device"? It's clearly not something you are left in someone's will since it was Amazon who were using it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 16:14 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

I believe a legacy device means what those of us who don't keep up with the latest trends use! Like my iriver player, my old phone, my creaking laptop, anything no longer made, which seems to mean more than two years old.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 19:55 

LucyP wrote:
I believe a legacy device means what those of us who don't keep up with the latest trends use! Like my iriver player, my old phone, my creaking laptop, anything no longer made, which seems to mean more than two years old.....

Aha, thanks. I have many legacies in that case. Wish they were the normal monetary kind :?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 10 Aug 2022, 03:18