Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 01 Jun 2020, 17:49

Post subject: The Dorm Conundrum (The Princess of the Chalet)
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 12:13 
Arguing with your guardian

Dear fellow EBD enthusiasts,
Please help me figure some things out!
1) How many floors are there in the school's Tyrolean chalet?
2) Where are the blue, green, and yellow dorms? I got confused while reading about the snail prank in The Princess of the Chalet. It seems the blue dormitory is on the first floor (counting British-style), above Matron's room, which is on the ground floor, and the yellow dorm is on the second floor. Who sleeps in the blue dormitory besides Joe and Elisaveta? I thought it was Margia, since according to the author three girls participated in the prank (though she never named the third) but later on when Matron starts shrieking Margia comes out of the yellow dormitory, apparently woken up by the noise.
I really hope someone can clarify this!
Thank you! :kiss:

Top | End

Post subject: Re: The Dorm Conundrum (The Princess of the Chalet)
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 15:17 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I think Bianca's in the same dormitory as Jo and Elisaveta.

I suspect that the dormitories probably move around at will, and that the chalet changes size at will! The same with Die Rosen, which begins life as a small-ish chalet and then expands to include umpteen bedrooms and a billiards room :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2019, 10:33 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

The dorm situation is Princess is chaotic. This is what I wrote in the afterword for Juniors:

Girls move dormitories with almost astonishing regularity, in particular the two central characters, Jo and Elisaveta. They begin in Yellow and Blue respectively: during her early run-in with Matron Webb, Elisaveta is sent to the Blue dormitory after refusing to apologise (‘the Blue dormitory on the next landing… Elisaveta was lying on her bed’), while Miss Maynard ‘went out of the room, and up to the Yellow dormitory, where she was pretty sure of finding Joey’. By the time of the creation of the SSM, however, Elisaveta is the one in Yellow (‘Elisaveta mounted the stairs to the Yellow dormitory to change her frock’ p71), yet they are both in Blue at the time of the snails stunt (Frieda worries that Matron’s room is ‘too far below the window of the Blue dormitory for Jo or Elisaveta or Bianca to stretch down’ p86). We are told how, after Joey and Elisaveta go missing, Madge ‘went up to the Blue dormitory to see if she could find any clue to their absence there’ (p220). Joey is then moved back to Yellow as punishment for going after Elisaveta (we are not told what happens to Bianca or Elisaveta herself).

I didn't try to work out which floor they were on - that just adds a whole new level of complication!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2019, 11:01 
Arguing with your guardian

Thanks so much for your detailed replies!
As for the number of floors, I'm leaning towards three. That's what it looks like on the covers anyway.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2019, 11:37 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

I'm fairly sure it's three, I seem to recall that the flood sequence in Jo of implies three.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 01 Jun 2020, 17:49