The Lucys
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

The CBB -> Joey's Trunk

#1: The Lucys Author: aliLocation: medway, kent PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:32 pm
    —
At the end of the series what do we know about Betsy and VI? Are they married, engaged? What jobs do they have? I have looked in the PB's and can't finf much about them. In prefects Vi is at the sale but it doesn't really say anything about her private life.
Also when is the last book set?
Drabble idea has been bubbling for a while but I haven't had the time, hopefully having an operation in the next few months and consequently a few weeks of work for drabble writing! So I'm starting to get prepared.

#2:  Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:24 pm
    —
Vi wanted to be an interior designer (imagine if she was around now - she could have her own TV show!), but we never find out if she made it or not! Bearing in mind that we constantly heard about how pretty she was, I'm surprised EBD hadn't found her a nice doctor by the end of the series, but she hadn't Laughing . I don't think Betsy is mentioned much after leaving school - we know that Julie packs in her legal career to get married, and by the end of the series has 2 kids, but I can't remember anything being said about Betsy. Seeing as she was meant to be very bright, I assume she went to university.

Joey got a letter from Janie, which I think was in Future, announcing Julie's engagement, Nancy's engagement and Vanna (or was it Nella?)'s marriage, but I don't think it mentioned Betsy.

The last book, Prefects, is set in the summer term before the triplets' 19th birthday, which should make it May/June/July 1958, but it doesn't always seem to work like that Rolling Eyes . Vi would have been 21 or 22 then.

Hope the op goes OK.

#3:  Author: macyroseLocation: Great White North (Canada) PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:28 am
    —
Alison H. wrote:

Quote:
Joey got a letter from Janie, which I think was in Future, announcing Julie's engagement, Nancy's engagement and Vanna (or was it Nella?)'s marriage, but I don't think it mentioned Betsy.

Vanna is the bride to-be in Future. Her fiance is an American (from Indiana) fruit farmer with a private income. I don't think anything was ever said about Nella's future life.

#4:  Author: ChangnoiLocation: Milwaukee, USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:41 pm
    —
hijacking--

I know Julie gets sent off to get married, but where do her kids come in?

Thanks!

Chang

#5:  Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:44 pm
    —
IIRC it's when Kathie Ferrars gets appendicitis and there's the "famous" scene in which Nancy rushes to her side (in the classroom) and calls her "darling". Someone - Hilda? - recalls when Julie Lucy had appendicitis and developed peritonitis, and it then says that of course Julie's OK now and is the "proud mamma" of a small son and a baby daughter. Or maybe it was just a small son? I get confused with all the Old Girls sometimes!

#6:  Author: NellLocation: exiled from the big smoke PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:22 pm
    —
Which is therefore Challenge I believe.

#7:  Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:27 pm
    —
Due to acute boredom at work, I have looked up the quote on the transcripts site (sorry Ali - appreciate this doesn't help with Betsy and Vi!).

From Challenge:

Quote:
Victoria raced off, feeling it quite safe to break the rule about no running in the corridors for once, and Nancy Wilmot was left alone. She was longing to get off to the salon and find out how things were going there, but Upper IVa had had a nasty shock and they were not much more than children. She must see to them first. All the same, Nancy Wilmot felt this to be one of the hardest pieces of duty she had had to perform. She and Kathy Ferrars were close friends of many years standing. Appendicitis was rarely a really serious matter these days if it were taken in time. But she remembered, too well for her comfort, the account someone had given her of what had happened when Julie Lucy, one of the prefects at the time, had had a similar seizure. It had turned to peritonitis and Julie had nearly died. Then she shook herself. That had been nearly nine years ago. Julie had recovered and was now married and the proud mamma of an unruly small son and a very new baby daughter.

#8:  Author: RóisínLocation: Ireland PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 pm
    —
I always found it weird in Prefects, when Vi and Mary-Lou 'bump into' each other at the Sale. They were supposed to be best friends PLUS CS girls are always supposed to write constant letters to everyone they've ever been to school with, especially their best friends! So. Did they lose contact? (drabble?!) lol

#9:  Author: jenniferLocation: Taiwan PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:53 pm
    —
A sudden rash of old Gang members who suddenly and inexplicably neglect to give Mary-Lou forwarding addresses?

#10:  Author: TanLocation: London via Newcastle Australia PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:10 pm
    —
jennifer wrote:
A sudden rash of old Gang members who suddenly and inexplicably neglect to give Mary-Lou forwarding addresses?

Why would they do that?? Shocked Laughing

ETA - I think there is mention made in one of the later books about Vi studying design as it gives her more options? Very vague memory of this. Rolling Eyes

#11:  Author: MiriamLocation: Jerusalem, Israel PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:15 pm
    —
I think something aout her having wanted to do illustration, but it being very hard to get into, so she was working in design, and doing quite well. I think Janice Chester was pasing on the information, but I don't remember to whom, or in which book.

That must be the only instance of a CS girl not getting the career she wanted (for any reason other than marriage. For once, the real world intrudes on the Chalet world.

#12:  Author: CatherineSLocation: Smalltown, West of Scotland PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:41 am
    —
Miriam wrote:
I think something aout her having wanted to do illustration, but it being very hard to get into, so she was working in design, and doing quite well. I think Janice Chester was pasing on the information, but I don't remember to whom, or in which book.

I think this is in Adrienne. Not sure where.

#13:  Author: aliLocation: medway, kent PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 pm
    —
Thanks, this all works well with my plans so the bunny is feeling inspired.

#14:  Author: macyroseLocation: Great White North (Canada) PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:57 pm
    —
Tan wrote:

Quote:
ETA - I think there is mention made in one of the later books about Vi studying design as it gives her more options? Very vague memory of this.

Here's the quote from Adrienne about Vi's career:

Quote:
“How’s Vi getting on at her art school?” Judy asked.
“Oh, jolly well. She likes it awfully. Of course what she really wanted to go in for was illustrating, but I believe it’s jolly difficult to break through into the publishing world so she’s doing design – textiles and things like that. They say there’s quite a future in it,” Janice said in her most grown-up manner.

The CBB -> Joey's Trunk

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1