Male teachers at the CS
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

The CBB -> Anything Else

#1: Male teachers at the CS Author: Fiona McLocation: Bendigo, Australia PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:36 pm
    —
In the unabridged version of Three go to the CS is states that a female mistress was always present in Plato's singing lessons. It says that it started when in Tyrol it was considered inappropriate to leave a male teacher alone with the older girls without a chaperone and the tradition had carried on as Plato could get upset every now and then which I thought fair enough, however I have never read of the same being done with Herr Laubach's Art lessons and he seemed to be continually in a bad temper. What is the difference between the two and why did Plato's lessons need chaperoning but not Herr Laubach's?

#2:  Author: Travellers JoyLocation: Middle of Nowhere PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:40 pm
    —
Dare I sugest it was because he was clearly gay and therefore the girls more at risk?

(Please note tongue firmly in cheek!!!)

#3:  Author: JackiePLocation: Kingston upon Hull PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:53 pm
    —
Was it perhaps because Herr Laubach was a married man, and Mr Denny wasn't.

The other alternative is that Herr Laubach (and Herr Anserl) were considered to be safer to the young ladies as they were Austrian....

It's something that I've never thought about before - but I can't imagine why it's done ...

JackieP

#4:  Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:58 pm
    —
EBD had probably just forgotten about it by the time she introduced any more male teachers.

Or maybe Madge secretly fancied Mr Denny - after all, she was worried that the girls would get "sentimental" about him - but considered the other male teachers to be unattractive and therefore less of a problem Laughing .

What about people who had music lessons with Herr Anserl or Herr Helfen on a one-to-one basis?

#5:  Author: JayBLocation: SE England PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:32 pm
    —
I have the impression Mr Denny was considerably younger than Messrs Anserl and Laubach, who always appear middle aged if not elderly.

Also, Anserl and Laubach, as local men, were probably known to the Maranis and Mensches, and thus known to be respectable - perhaps the Maranis or Mensches actually introduced them to Madge - but the Dennys were complete strangers.

#6:  Author: PatLocation: Doncaster PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:26 pm
    —
By the time the books get to Three Go, they would have known that Plato was afe though. I suspect that it's an age thing, though the clothes Plate wears are very stereotypically gay for the period, with his bow instead of a tie, and his long hair. I always picture him looking a bit like a young Quentin Crisp.

#7:  Author: miss_maeveLocation: Buckinghamshire, UK PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:15 pm
    —
I've been racking my poor brains, and have to say....I don't remember seeing any mention of 'chaperoning' in the lessons.
Mind you, I only own Armada paperbacks, and one GGB reprint in my collection, so maybe this is something that is only mentioned in the hardback books?

#8:  Author: PatLocation: Doncaster PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 pm
    —
It could be. All sorts of stuff was cut from the paperbacks!

#9:  Author: KateLocation: Ireland PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:44 pm
    —
miss_maeve wrote:
I've been racking my poor brains, and have to say....I don't remember seeing any mention of 'chaperoning' in the lessons.
Mind you, I only own Armada paperbacks, and one GGB reprint in my collection, so maybe this is something that is only mentioned in the hardback books?

I've a feeling that it's in the hardback of Three Go.

#10:  Author: JayBLocation: SE England PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 pm
    —
Isn't there also a reference in Mary Lou, when Jessica throws her tantrum in the singing lesson?

#11:  Author: MiaLocation: London PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:07 pm
    —
Surely if it was a singing lesson, they would need a accompanist there anyway?

I would suggest the look that EBD was aiming for with Mr Denny's clothes was 'artistic'.

#12:  Author: LesleyLocation: Allhallows, Kent PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:43 pm
    —
Surely, if he were gay, there wouldn't be anything to worry about?

#13:  Author: Travellers JoyLocation: Middle of Nowhere PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 pm
    —
Lesley wrote:
Surely, if he were gay, there wouldn't be anything to worry about?

But the stereotype is that all gay people are paedophiles with no respect for gender! Or at least that is/was people's fear.

#14:  Author: LollyLocation: Back in London PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:17 am
    —
I think it must have been the marriage thing which someone pointed out... I think once a man was married, he was not considered a threat (ha!) to young ladies...or at least there could be no question of the girl's virtue being compromised by being alone with a married man, for the simple reason that he could not then be forced to marry her. I know the 'Katy' books were written much earlier, but in 'What Katy did at School' there is a scene where the girls are visited by a young man and are heavily chaperoned. However, they are accompanied all the way to the school by the father of another of the girls who is a complete stranger to them.

But you'd think a whole classroom full of girls would be fairly difficult for one man to compromise...

#15:  Author: Travellers JoyLocation: Middle of Nowhere PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 am
    —
Lolly wrote:
But you'd think a whole classroom full of girls would be fairly difficult for one man to compromise...

One would think! Rolling Eyes

#16:  Author: LollyLocation: Back in London PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:21 am
    —
Am now amusing myself by the thought of Mr Denny as a kind of Casanova in brown velvet.....

#17:  Author: Travellers JoyLocation: Middle of Nowhere PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:26 am
    —
Lolly wrote:
Am now amusing myself by the thought of Mr Denny as a kind of Casanova in brown velvet.....

rofl

#18:  Author: KBLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:59 pm
    —
There might also be the idea that singing was an exercise that may induce unseemly passions in young ladies, who might then throw themselves on the nearest man. That would have to be prevented at all costs.

As for Herr Laubach, might there not also be something about his temper. I'm imagining Madge or someone sitting in on his first lesson, hearing him rant and rave, and walk out perfectly reassured that no girl could possibly feeling anything for a man with that sort of temper who does nothing but criticise!!!

The CBB -> Anything Else

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1