Guides at the Swiss Branch
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

The CBB -> Anything Else

#1: Guides at the Swiss Branch Author: LizzieCLocation: Canterbury, UK PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:41 pm
    —
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before but why is there no Guides etc at the Swiss Branch? They seem such a major part of the school all the way through from when they were first set up in the second(?) book, so why did they not continue? Was there ever an explanation (and I've just missed it?)

I can't imagine that the girls who were already Guides, Rangers, Cadets etc would have been very happy at giving it up.

#2:  Author: JennieLocation: Cambridgeshire PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:04 pm
    —
We have discussed this before, and really come to no answer apart from the fact that EBD seems to have forgotten all about them.

#3:  Author: leahbelleLocation: Kilmarnock PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:43 pm
    —
It does seem strange, especially since Guides etc were such a large part of life in the earlier incarnations of the school.

#4:  Author: Elder in OntarioLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:19 pm
    —
So far as I remember Guides etc. weren't started there at first because there was so much new to get used to. Am not sure why they weren't re-started later, though.

#5:  Author: JayBLocation: SE England PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:26 pm
    —
Maybe there weren't any mistresses who were interested in running Guides, or who had the time? Miss Wilson was busy at St Mildred's, and may have felt herself too old for camping by then. Which other mistresses were involved in Guides in the English and Welsh eras?

#6:  Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:27 pm
    —
In Behind the Chalet School, Helen McClelland says that "Later on Elinor seems characteristically to have lost interest in the subject" - that seems to be the only logical explanation Confused .

#7:  Author: Kathy_SLocation: midwestern US PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:23 am
    —
I've always rather stubbornly assumed Guides were restarted in the backstory, even if we don't hear about it. Such a waste not to have taken them to Our Chalet!

In support, we have this from Barbara:
Quote:
In England, they had held their Guide meetings at this time, but so far Guides had remained in abeyance. The Head had decided that until they were in full running order, outside things like Guides must wait, though she fully intended that they should begin presently.

and this from Does it Again, about one of Jo's books:
Quote:
And her Christmas one—Buttercups and Daisies, a Guide story,” added Lesley Malcolm, a fifteen-year-old with a clever face. “That did make me homesick for our Guides, but the Head hasn’t said anything so far so I suppose we aren’t restarting them just yet.”

Plus, in the rescue in Kenya, Mary-Lou is able to come to the rescue with Guide belt and cord, with no "once a Guide, always a Guide" remarks.

I've also read that EBD had gotten bored with Guides, but it could as easily have been the publishers. As far as I can tell, the 20s and 30s seem to have been the heyday of the genre in juvenile fiction. Can anyone think of any Girl Guide/Girl Scout novels first published after the fifties? (I do have sixties reprints of Judy, Patrol Leader and Sal Fisher at Girl Scout Camp, but that's it.)

#8:  Author: JayBLocation: SE England PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:26 pm
    —
Maybe EBD also felt that she was no longer up to date with the movement, and didn't want the bother of researching it? (Not that being out of date usually stopped her.)

Was she ever involved with a Guide company, or have a friend who was?

#9:  Author: CatherineLocation: Newcastle upon Tyne PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm
    —
She seemed to find greater mileage in sending them off on rambles or expeditions to various towns.

#10:  Author: TiffanyLocation: Is this a duck I see behind me? PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:18 pm
    —
How many real girls were Guides in the fifities? Did the movement continue to grow steadily? If there was a dip in their popularity in real life, then maybe EBD or her publishers thought girls wouldn't want to read about fictional Guides...

#11:  Author: NineLivesBurraLocation: York, North Yorks PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:24 pm
    —
I've read brownie books published after the 50s but not guide novels.

I also know that brownies are a lot more popular than guides today....perhaps the thought that they seemed to lose popularity is exactly why EBD lost interest?

#12:  Author: JackiePLocation: Kingston upon Hull PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:17 pm
    —
I do have a copy of a Guide Story which was published 1968, so I'm presuming there was still the demand for them.

On why Guides didn't feature as much. I must say I'm more inclined to agree with the theory that EBD had not been involved for a few years and so didn't want to risk making any errors.

JackieP

#13:  Author: Lisa A.Location: North Yorkshire PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:56 am
    —
I would have thought that Guides would make an easy source of new plot ideas. I recently had a look at my old Guide handbook from the 70s and was quite amazed at all the things that a Guide was expected to be able to do - much more than the laundry and craft-type things that appear in earlier books. Even if EBD wasn't sure of the details, there could have been great CS adventures as girls worked for their fire-fighter / horsewoman / stalker / badges (these are from the 1979 edition but presume there was something similar previously). I think that by Switzerland the school was so large, with so many characters, activities and situations, that there just wasn't time to develop a Guides story.

#14:  Author: FatimaLocation: Sunny Qatar PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:55 pm
    —
Stalker? Shocked That sounds a fun one!

#15:  Author: Lisa A.Location: North Yorkshire PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:17 pm
    —
I have just realised the implications of that one! Laughing

#16:  Author: MaryRLocation: Cheshire PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:24 pm
    —
Lisa A. wrote:
Even if EBD wasn't sure of the details, there could have been great CS adventures as girls worked for their fire-fighter / horsewoman / stalker / badges....

Maybe I should resurrect the Guides in ND! Twisted Evil *Girl trapped inside stable by stalker, who sets fire to hay inadvertently with cigarette. Girl rescued by friend doing fire-fighting badge, who then turns her hose on the stalker! Stalker runs out into snow in wet clothes and suffers from hypothermia - saved by Guider doing First Aid badge. Doctors at San find themselves redundant.* hiding

#17:  Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:40 pm
    —
MaryR wrote:
Stalker runs out into snow in wet clothes and suffers from hypothermia - saved by Guider doing First Aid badge. Doctors at San find themselves redundant.* hiding

Mary, you may have cracked it there! Maybe EBD realised that Guidecraft would render the girls and mistresses too capable of rescuing themselves from avalanches, falling in lakes et al, spoiling their chances of being rescued by doctors who would then marry them, and that's why she stopped mentioning Guides Wink .

#18:  Author: MonaLocation: Hertfordshire PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:41 pm
    —
By George, I think she's got it! Wink

#19:  Author: RosalinLocation: Swansea PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:12 pm
    —
Of course. Why didn't we see it before?

*imagines Jack and Jem sneaking around destroying guide handbooks and badgebooks*

#20:  Author: Lisa A.Location: North Yorkshire PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:57 am
    —
...while being stalked by Mary-Lou.

The CBB -> Anything Else

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1