Whispering v talking
The CBB -> Anything Else

#1: Whispering v talking Author: CarolaLocation: Bedford right now, usually Nepal PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:03 pm

I'm sitting here at work reading the transcript of Joey & Co. in Tyrol (no patients waiting, all quiet) and came across Joey telling Ruey off for whispering, because everyone knows that a whisper carries far more than an undertone!! Shocked I remember reading that gem in more than one CS book and always thought it was "total rot", to coin a phrase. Is it just me??

#2:  Author: Kathy_SLocation: midwestern US PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:19 pm

I never really questioned it, but that may be because I have been brainwashed to believe that sibilants carry further. For example, Jill in one of the Narnia books says "thee better" instead of "see better" when scouting, for this very reason.

#3:  Author: Guest PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:36 pm

I'm just sitting here, whispering to myself "s" and "th". I'm glad no-one came in! Clearly I have too much time on my hands right now Smile But..you're right about the sibilants.

#4:  Author: CarolaLocation: Bedford right now, usually Nepal PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:36 pm

PS...that was me. Wretched work computer, can't keep logged in forever!

#5:  Author: KatherineLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:56 pm

I've always been very confused by this as they're always on about it in the later books, whereas I seem to remember that in the earlier books whispering is fine.
Does anyone understand the logic? Can't see what is wrong with whispering myself.
I always meant to ask this but never got round to it - thanks, I await the answer with interest!

#6:  Author: claireLocation: South Wales PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:58 pm

Anonymous wrote:
I'm just sitting here, whispering to myself "s" and "th". I'm glad no-one came in! Clearly I have too much time on my hands right now Smile But..you're right about the sibilants.

I did that too

#7:  Author: RuthYLocation: Anyone's guess PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:32 pm

I just sort of thought it was right because I didn't really think about it.
Don't know maybe it's because a whisper is higher pitched or something like that.

Ruth

#8:  Author: ChairLocation: Rochester, Kent, England PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:02 pm

What does the word 'sibilants' mean please?

#9:  Author: LizBLocation: Oxon, England PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:14 pm

Sibilants are the "sssss" ing sounds Chair

Liz

#10:  Author: aitchemelleLocation: West Sussex PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:24 pm

claire wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I did that too

And another!! And the house is silent!!

I would say that a low speaking voice is quieter than whispering... people can often tell that you're saying something in a whisper .... does that make sense?

#11:  Author: KBLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:42 pm

I think also a low murmur is not as disturbing to a sleeping child as the hiss of a whisper.

#12:  Author: LianeLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:20 am

aitchemelle wrote:
claire wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I did that too

And another!! And the house is silent!!

Me too! And it is quieter!
I'm another who was going to ask but never got round to it.

Edited to try and sort out quotes.

#13:  Author: ChangnoiLocation: New Mexico, USA PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:17 am

I agree that sibilants will carry further, but I don't necessarily use more sibilants when I whisper. You can, if you want to do a very hissing whisper, but my whisper is more throaty, so I don't think it's necessarily louder than me when I talk (and since I have a very small space between my front teeth, there is a lot of sibilance when I speak out loud),

So unless everyone at the CS hisses when they whisper, I'm not sure that it would be louder than a low voice.

Chang
linguist, but not, alas, phoneticist

#14:  Author: KatyaLocation: Mostly Bradford PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:23 am

When you whisper, you often use more force because your vocal chords aren't vibrating so you have to use 'breath' for the vowel sounds, and this makes the sibilants more prominent as well, plus there's a greater difference between them and the rest of the sounds.

*takes linguistics hat off*

I'm still not completely convinced that whispering is always louder than a quiet voice, but I've certainly found it to work sometimes - not waking up the Brownies on pack holiday when they'd only just gone to bed (at two in the morning Rolling Eyes ) springs to mind...!

The CBB -> Anything Else

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1