Fancy Bread Twists
The CBB -> Anything Else

#1: Fancy Bread Twists Author: Kathy_SLocation: midwestern US PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:09 pm

Previous discussion at: http://www.chaletian.com/forum/archive/AE_Bread_Twists_260105.htm

While reading today's archive list, it occurred to me that fancy bread twists could have been what I consider a soft pretzel. When I visited in Germany, the relatives served these -- warm and sliced in half, with butter, and most yummy -- for special Sunday breakfast and at Kaffeetrinken (daily 4:00 ritual -- though again, the pretzels weren't for every day. They had to come from the bakery.) ETA I just read the archived part and saw Rosie had already mentioned bread pretzels. Oh, well. Just to emphasize that they were served with other rolls etc.

#2:  Author: KBLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:52 pm

I had always thought they might have been similar to croissants. To me, when I'm in Germany, pretzels are always covered with salt. Haven't seen any other kind.

#3:  Author: francesnLocation: away with the faeries PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:34 pm

I always thought they were a sort of croissant too. Or a type of brioche maybe?

#4:  Author: Kathy_SLocation: midwestern US PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:29 pm

The pretzels did have some salt, though not a huge amount. It's just I grew up thinking of pretzels as crunchy snack foods popular with beer, or as soft tourist treats sold by sidewalk vendors, whereas the ones in Germany appeared with other bread sorts of things at very civilized Kaffeetrinken or Frühstuck. So, I wondered whether perhaps my pigeonholing pretzels as snack foods kept me from thinking of them as potential "bread twists." This was on the German/Swiss border, btw.

#5: Pretzels Author: Alison HLocation: Manchester PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:58 am

When I went to Austria they seemed to be selling pretzels everywhere, so maybe the Chalest bread twists were pretzels

#6:  Author: KatLocation: Swansea PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:58 pm

Does anyone know if you can still buy the chocolate covered pretzels that came out a few years ago? Cos they were lovely and morish and I can't find them anywhere :crying:

#7:  Author: KatieLocation: A Yorkshire lass in London PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:18 pm

Kat wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy the chocolate covered pretzels that came out a few years ago? Cos they were lovely and morish and I can't find them anywhere :crying:
Oooh, I luffed those! Weren't they called pretzel flipz or something? I'd forgotten all about them and now I want some. *runs off to Google..* ETA: They're a bit pricey but: http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/index.php/url_indprod?ltrev=6&xlc=1116 I know where the shop is so if they've got any I can bring some to the FG if anybody wants...

#8:  Author: KBLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:04 pm

In Australia (or at least at my local shopping centre, Southland) there's a pretzel stall that makes chocolate-covered pretzels. I've just to let myself buy one...

#9:  Author: KatLocation: Swansea PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:21 pm

Katie wrote:
Kat wrote:
I know where the shop is so if they've got any I can bring some to the FG if anybody wants...
Please!!!!!!!!!!! Would love you forever if you brought some with you! (I would of course, give you money, lol!)

#10:  Author: KatieLocation: A Yorkshire lass in London PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:18 pm

Kat wrote:
Katie wrote:
Kat wrote:
I know where the shop is so if they've got any I can bring some to the FG if anybody wants...
Please!!!!!!!!!!! Would love you forever if you brought some with you! (I would of course, give you money, lol!)
I think I shall be making many a trip to Cyber Candy now I have rediscovered these beauties. And your wish is my command, Kat!

#11:  Author: KatLocation: Swansea PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:14 pm

Thank you so much Katie!! Very Happy *hugs*

#12:  Author: RuthLocation: Lincolnshire, England PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:36 am

A bread twist is two strips of dough of even width and twisted like a braid.

#13:  Author: KatieLocation: A Yorkshire lass in London PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Kat wrote:
Thank you so much Katie!! Very Happy *hugs*
My pleasure. Now does this mean I get an extra big bit of chocolate slice as a reward, I wonder...?

#14:  Author: KatLocation: Swansea PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:08 pm

I think it all depends on if you survive the rugby scrum surrounding the tray! Laughing

#15:  Author: KatieLocation: A Yorkshire lass in London PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Sounds scary. I think I'll just take what I can get!! Laughing

#16:  Author: KatLocation: Swansea PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:31 pm

which might not be much... Laughing

The CBB -> Anything Else

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1